Register

Holland Lop

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Holland Lop

Post Number:#1  Unread postby WWRabbitry » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:19 am

Anyone know a few things about breed standard? I'm just starting out on breeding them.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,901.00

Re: Holland Lop

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 pm

What's your question? The best things you can do to learn the standard is to buy the standard (from arba.net) and go to shows to watch them be judged

__________ June 25th, 2018, 8:54 am __________

niceholland.jpg
niceholland.jpg (48.21 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Here's a picture of a Holland that IMO fits the standard well (rabbit & picture by Kitsada Kamolsuntisuk)

Ajax.jpg
Ajax.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Here's another one, this rabbit won Best in Show at the national convention (rabbit & picture by Chris Zemny)

You want a large round head, short ears, a high head mount, thick, short limbs and a wide chest and body, among other things. The maximum weight is 4 lbs, above that they're disqualified. The vast majority of quality holland lops are black tortoise in color.
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
SixGun

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 210.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:52 pm

hi, I am aslo breeding holland lops and am looking for a new doe. All the does I found have long ears and all the bucks i found have short ones. Is it only a male trait?

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:25 pm

golden rabbitry wrote:hi, I am aslo breeding holland lops and am looking for a new doe. All the does I found have long ears and all the bucks i found have short ones. Is it only a male trait?

Not really. The males sometimes have bigger heads that make the ears look smaller, but both sexes should have ears that about just reach the jawline

Post Number:#5  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:57 pm

thanks! This helped alot! I am also getting a female this saturday. what do you guys think? https://images.craigslist.org/01010_etN ... 00x450.jpg

United States of America

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SableSteel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:18 pm

golden rabbitry wrote:thanks! This helped alot! I am also getting a female this saturday. what do you guys think? https://images.craigslist.org/01010_etN ... 00x450.jpg

She doesn't look half bad, I can't see too much about her body from this angle but she looks to have nice broad, large head and good substance to her ears

Post Number:#7  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:58 pm

I just came home with her and the seller did not mention the pedagree. It has the names of the last owners and I don't know how to change it. Or even if I should. She has no ear# or reg# but the pedagree has all her bloodline. Can I get her ear tatooed?

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,312.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:26 am

golden rabbitry wrote:I just came home with her and the seller did not mention the pedagree. It has the names of the last owners and I don't know how to change it. Or even if I should. She has no ear# or reg# but the pedagree has all her bloodline. Can I get her ear tatooed?

Speaking entirely from personal experience... I know in my area it's considered bad form to change the pedigree of a rabbit you bought, with the exception of adding information that was omitted (weight, ear # if they haven't been tattooed yet, etc.). The breeders name is in front of the rabbit's name to show who it was produced by, and it would not be accurate to say that you produced a rabbit that you bought. So my foundation herd has different names in front of their own, whereas the last doe I held back will be Red Line Rabbitry's Mirajane. I hope that's a good explanation.

If you want to show your new doe of course you'll need an ear number, though. If the breeder didn't write one into the pedigree, or give you an ear number to use, you can make one up and write it into the pedigree yourself. Just make sure the tattoo in the rabbit's ear and on their pedigree match. (I happen to know someone that bought a rabbit, noticed it didn't have an ear tattoo yet, made one up themselves, and later realized that the breeder had already put an ear # in the pedigree... which of course didn't match. Long story short, it was a hassle for the new owner and the breeder, because they had to rewrite the pedigree. Breeders often keep records even of the rabbits they've sold).

If your doe has never shown before, she won't have a registration #, so just leave that blank for now. Same goes for legs (wins at a show).

Best of luck! :good-luck: