Register

Meat Chickens Not Gaining Weight?

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,526.00

Re: Meat Chickens Not Gaining Weight?

Post Number:#31  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 am

buying "feed store "meat chicks is a gamble- Most feed stores try to buy "sale chicks" so they can sell cheap and still make a profit. [they actually just want to sell you chicken feed to raise them ] The problem is-- "hatchery sale chicks" are what is left over , or over-stock. The Feed store may , or may not ,be at fault- often the hatchery just lists the cheap sale chicks as "assorted white meat breed" -sometimes- it is the feed store that labels them as "Cornish cross" - to avoid answering questions they do not know the answer to, or admitting that they actually don't know "what kind of chickens they are selling"..
--- most people, will not suspect the chicken breed, or the feed store ,when the chicks don't grow as expected. So they usually get away with this program... and- they get to sell a lot more chicken feed.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,845.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby Homer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:26 pm

Not with Ideal Poultry. You pick the breed and pullets or straight run. If you buy 25 they are less than $2.00 each. Free shipping but they will ding you $7.00 for small orders.

If it's still cold they include plenty of "heater" roosters to keep your chicks warm, (free if shipped outside of Texas). Do with them as you wish. Give them away, grow them out and eat them or use them for catfish bait. Doesn't matter, they were FREE.

I do agree however that there are some hatcheries that are rather questionable. I've dealt with them.
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
michaels4gardens

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,500.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby GBov » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:35 pm

I did the last four today and all together, they equal ONE proper roaster. Flavor excellent though so despite them having cost quadruple what they should have and taken months longer, we will enjoy them tonight and tomorrow.

Tonight on pizza and tomorrow in the leftover marinara over pasta. Then the bones will simmer down and that stock will go into Japanese giblet noodle soup.

Mmmmmmmm love chicken. :D

Thank you all for your suggestions on hatcheries to try. We are waiting on a trial date for our Petition For Relocation With Minor Children which should be in August. If we win our freedom from the 50-mile rule then we will NOT be getting more chickens. :lol:

If we lose, not sure what we will do but I don't think chickens will help counter the despair.

Still, living in hope that justice prevails.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,597.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby Deer Heart » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Goodluck!

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Post Number:#35  Unread postby GBov » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Deer Heart wrote:Goodluck!

Thank you! :D

The chicken? Fantastic on pizza!

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 9,845.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby Homer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:55 pm

GBov wrote:

Hum, wonder how duck would go with pizza? :thinking:

Best of luck there "G"! :)
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Site Supporter

Post Number:#37  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:08 am

Homer wrote:Not with Ideal Poultry. You pick the breed and pullets or straight run. If you buy 25 they are less than $2.00 each. Free shipping but they will ding you $7.00 for small orders.

If it's still cold they include plenty of "heater" roosters to keep your chicks warm, (free if shipped outside of Texas). Do with them as you wish. Give them away, grow them out and eat them or use them for catfish bait. Doesn't matter, they were FREE.

I do agree however that there are some hatcheries that are rather questionable. I've dealt with them.

I have used "Ideal poultry" a lot in the past, ordered many thousands of chickens from them when I worked for an animal feed company-I have had very few complaints. I especially like their Ideal 236 white egg layer. [Although a little high strung, and they can fly like a sparrow]- they are small, solid bodied birds, with very good longevity in a free range/ pastured situation [6 foot fence, with one wing "clipped"]. -- I also ordered lots of Cornish/ Rock cross from them for feed conversion trials ..

Post Number:#38  Unread postby GBov » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:36 am

Homer wrote:
GBov wrote:

Hum, wonder how duck would go with pizza? :thinking:

Best of luck there "G"! :)

Ummmm, fantastic?

Duck is good on anything!

__________ Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:36 am __________

michaels4gardens wrote:
I have used "Ideal poultry" a lot in the past, ordered many thousands of chickens from them when I worked for an animal feed company-I have had very few complaints. I especially like their Ideal 236 white egg layer. [Although a little high strung, and they can fly like a sparrow]- they are small, solid bodied birds, with very good longevity in a free range/ pastured situation [6 foot fence, with one wing "clipped"]. -- I also ordered lots of Cornish/ Rock cross from them for feed conversion trials ..

Your fly like a sparrow made me laugh! :lol: How did the feed conversion trials go using the C/R cross?

Thanks for the good luck peeps, keep sending it this way if you can, we do mediation tomorrow and we have everything crossed!

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,358.00

Post Number:#39  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:29 pm

Best of luck with the mediation, GBov!

:good-luck: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: :good-luck:
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Post Number:#40  Unread postby GBov » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Thank you thank you thankyou! It is hard to live with crossed fingers but we all have everything crossed.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#41  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:55 am

First, --good luck...

then, - the feed trials with Ideals Cornish / White Rock crosses, showed good feed conversion. I don't know if they still have two kinds, [probably not] but at one time I could order fast growing 5 to 6 week birds [fryers], or slower growing 8 to 12 week birds [roasters], the faster growing birds had feed conversion that was sometimes at, or slightly better than 2 to 1 - but- they needed to be butchered on time-as they could not stand up after about 10 to 12 weeks, their legs collapsed, and they scooted around on their breast on the floor.

Post Number:#42  Unread postby GBov » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Mediation = impasse. *sigh*

Never mind, trial it is. Sure wish I knew what I got up to in me last life to be getting all this fun now. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Those poor meat birds falling off their legs. :(

Will regroup, do some math and timelines and see if some meat birds might be a good idea. Having run out of roosters more chicken would be nice. Mmmmm love chicken.

Previous