Would these be good for cooling?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twobunnies

Reaction score
Hello,

Right now I am using frozen jugs (like from juice, etc) to cool off my 2 (pet, neutered) Holland Lop bunnies that live on the porch. The problem is, the jugs create a pool of water on their tray (they have a crate style cage with litter box) when they melt. So the bunnies end up laying in it trying to cool off, and rabbit pellets/cecotropess get mixed with it.....just not a good combination. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other way to safely cool them off without creating a pool of water? They do have a small battery powered fan but it is so hot they need an ice block too (temps are 85 to 95+ F here, with high humidity).

Things I have considered are:

This, but the reviews said it didn't last all day and had to be replaced several times....: https://www.amazon.com/Scratch-and-...rd_wg=B1Dqr&psc=1&refRID=79XTS0VK5DECMNK55RSR

www.allthingsbunnies.com/Natural-Stone-Cooling-Pad-p/cool001.htm

www.amazon.com/LESOTC-Cooli...07D2D44P7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

www.amazon.com/GD-Luck-Comfort-Cooling-Small/dp/B07CM5JTZ4/ref=sr_1_57?ie=UTF8

www.amazon.com/American-Ken...079YVNY51/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cooldog-pet-ice-mat/1043164035#BVRRWidgetID

Has anyone tried any of the above things? How safe would you say they are in terms of chewing, etc for the bunnies? I'm looking for something that stays cold for a long time and doesn't create a pool of melted ice.

I haven't looked at any of your links (I'm sorry) but I have some advice anyway! You can buy tiles from any home improvement type store and stick those in the freezer instead. They retain their temperature well, and even when 'defrosted' they're still several degrees cooler than the plastic pan. I have one in with both of my Checkered Giants, who don't handle heat very well and need solid floors. They like to lay out across them and it does seem to help - a lot. If I were to put frozen water bottles in with them, I'm pretty sure they'd be so gross by the end of the day I wouldn't want to touch them to pull them out.

also use those old carpet pads from winter, dunk them is water and freee. By the time they melt, it sokes th water up. Use a fan, place a damp towel over the cage. if you are extra, grab a mister of amazon and install it behind the fan to crate a swamp cooler.

Back