Holland Lop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your question? The best things you can do to learn the standard is to buy the standard (from arba.net) and go to shows to watch them be judged

__________ June 25th, 2018, 8:54 am __________

niceholland.jpg
Here's a picture of a Holland that IMO fits the standard well (rabbit & picture by Kitsada Kamolsuntisuk)

Ajax.jpg
Here's another one, this rabbit won Best in Show at the national convention (rabbit & picture by Chris Zemny)

You want a large round head, short ears, a high head mount, thick, short limbs and a wide chest and body, among other things. The maximum weight is 4 lbs, above that they're disqualified. The vast majority of quality holland lops are black tortoise in color.

hi, I am aslo breeding holland lops and am looking for a new doe. All the does I found have long ears and all the bucks i found have short ones. Is it only a male trait?

golden rabbitry":47v5y3tf said:
hi, I am aslo breeding holland lops and am looking for a new doe. All the does I found have long ears and all the bucks i found have short ones. Is it only a male trait?

Not really. The males sometimes have bigger heads that make the ears look smaller, but both sexes should have ears that about just reach the jawline

I just came home with her and the seller did not mention the pedagree. It has the names of the last owners and I don't know how to change it. Or even if I should. She has no ear# or reg# but the pedagree has all her bloodline. Can I get her ear tatooed?

golden rabbitry":fwb9gase said:
I just came home with her and the seller did not mention the pedagree. It has the names of the last owners and I don't know how to change it. Or even if I should. She has no ear# or reg# but the pedagree has all her bloodline. Can I get her ear tatooed?
Speaking entirely from personal experience... I know in my area it's considered bad form to change the pedigree of a rabbit you bought, with the exception of adding information that was omitted (weight, ear # if they haven't been tattooed yet, etc.). The breeders name is in front of the rabbit's name to show who it was produced by, and it would not be accurate to say that you produced a rabbit that you bought. So my foundation herd has different names in front of their own, whereas the last doe I held back will be Red Line Rabbitry's Mirajane. I hope that's a good explanation.

If you want to show your new doe of course you'll need an ear number, though. If the breeder didn't write one into the pedigree, or give you an ear number to use, you can make one up and write it into the pedigree yourself. Just make sure the tattoo in the rabbit's ear and on their pedigree match. (I happen to know someone that bought a rabbit, noticed it didn't have an ear tattoo yet, made one up themselves, and later realized that the breeder had already put an ear # in the pedigree... which of course didn't match. Long story short, it was a hassle for the new owner and the breeder, because they had to rewrite the pedigree. Breeders often keep records even of the rabbits they've sold).

If your doe has never shown before, she won't have a registration #, so just leave that blank for now. Same goes for legs (wins at a show).

Best of luck! :good-luck:

Latest posts

Back