Doe insists on 2 nests?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angoraspinner

Reaction score
I recently had a French Angora doe give birth. Due to 2 of my other bucks becoming does a few weeks ago, Saorsie is being housed in spare basement bathroom. Well despite me walling off an old hole in the stone and cement wall, she stubbornly worked her way in and kindled there. All 6 kits were moved to the first nest she made in the nesting box as that area will be unsafe when the kits start moving around. It’s been 3 days since Saorsie kinda kindled, but every day she has rebuilt the largest, most elaborate nest where she originally kindled. What gives?!?!? Is she just being stubborn? Should I expect more kits? This girl is confusing me!

Also, I will add that the problem wall will be fixed this weekend before we have mobile kits.

My guess is that she still thinks the first location is the better spot. Is she feeding the kits in the new nest? If so, let her content herself with the nest building.

I have does that pull wool for days after they kindle, some that pull little to no. Some that build wonderful nests, others that cant take the time. They are all so dfferent. Healthy kits, that is the only think that I actually worry about.

And no, I dont think she's planning on having more, just hormones over this current litter.

She is definitely caring for her litter. I was just shocked at how much hair she has pulled! Between her two nests she has stripped her whole belly bare. I left the other nest alone since she rebuilt it but I’ve checked it daily just in case.

I had a doe that would denude her belly and up her sides as far as she could reach. I learned to shear her or try and get her plucked before she kindled. That way the wool was much shorter and less dangerous before I got there ti cut it up, and she didnt waste all that beautiful fiber.

Some of my does think that tail fur is the best fur for nests, so they pluck their tails entirely bald lol

As long as she continues to care for the rabbits in one nest, I'd just let her have her fun with making a second nest

SableSteel":1qo3jbn7 said:
Some of my does think that tail fur is the best fur for nests, so they pluck their tails entirely bald lol
That must look... strange? :x :lol:

Mine has a bald patch on her elbow right now, apparently she didn't get the memo that the belly and dewlap have plenty to spare... :roll:

Oh my gosh, Tricia!!! :p :lol:

What a good mama Dolly is, giving her babies all the fur. I feel like Juvia keeps adding to the nest, as well... her elbows patches seem to be getting bigger, anyway, and the nestbox is positively overflowing with fluff. I keep trying to tell her that we've got warm enough weather (it's in the 80's most afternoons now) and she doesn't have to pluck herself naked. But she insists. :roll: :oops:

Latest posts

Back