Wool block or bloat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
I got my first actually Angora rabbit!!! She is just pet quality and that is fine with me. Anyway yesterday she went off food and I got concerned, by this morning she seems to have become bloated looking. Unfortunately I noticed it right before I had to leave for work so I put pineapple juice in her water in case it is wool block. Since I got home her condition hasn't changed, but honestly if it is wool block I don't really expect change until tomorrow. I did however feel around her stomach and felt some gas shifting in there. I have infant gas drops and pineapple juice, but I'm not sure if it is wool block or bloat. Nothing new has been added to get cage in the past 3 weeks and she is currently sheared. Any thoughts?

Never having had a rabbit with either bloat or wool block, I doubt if I will be much help to you.

More information would be a good idea.
Is she eating at all? Drinking? Peeing and pooping?
Was there any change in her poops in the week or so before this happened, either in size, hardness or quantity? Bloat can happen pretty quickly but wool block usually is a bit more gradual.

She completely stopped eating yesterday suddenly. She peed on me earlier, but it wasn't much and she doesn't seem to have pooped at all today either. No changes leading up to this other than they were a little smaller and fewer yesterday. As far as drinking she seems to more be playing in the water (she has a bowl) and licking it off get paws. She is only about 3 months old, and though sheared, is blowing out her baby coat. Though I have been brushing her daily to help she could still have ingested some. That's the main reason I am thinking it could also be wool block

3 months is young to have wool block, but it is not impossible. Pineapple juice, especially processed will not necessarily have the enzymes you need and may be too diluted to help at this point.
My recommendation would be 4cc or ml of mineral oil every 8 hours until she starts pooping again. Plenty of water, restrict only to hay, no pellets.

She doesnt have much time if she has stopped pooping and eating. She's bloating because she cant get anything out, so they go hand in hand. Gas drops may help with the torsion, but she still needs to get her small intestines moving. abdominal massage has had limited results in my experience, but, she needs to move that block and start eating again ASAP. With a total block you have about 48 hours before she will be too ill to recover if the block does move.

I got mineral oil in her last night, and she finally passed a poop this morning, but then she seemed like she was choking on something and didn't make it in the end

Latest posts

Back