Our First BLUE Kit!... I think

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie28

Reaction score
So our newest Silver fox doe just had 2 kits one is black and the other I'm pretty sure is blue. This is our first blue kit but its possible its a Lilac. Is it to early to tell... any opinions?

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 11.03.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 11.03.35 AM.png

Blue and lilac are very hard to tell, even when you have both in the litter. What color were both parents? Youd need both to carry choc and dilute in order to get lilac. And there will be just a rosey hint to a lilac, and to the eyes.

Mom is black (her mom is blue with possible chocolate/lilac genes)
and Dad is blue (with possible chocolate/lilac genes)

I've been looking online but its really hard to tell. It looks sorta rosey but i'm not sure if the pinkish color is skin or fur. The lighting is not the best right now. We will see:]

The eyes are a dead give away when they're older, they will have a reddish tint, especially in the refraction. It sounds like you could have a lilac, and in the pics, I see a little bit of a tint, however it could be lighting. Give the fur a bit more time to grown in, and look again at about two weeks, then the eyes will be open.

A little late but I thought I would update for other breeders. She (I think) is definitely blue! Looks to be more grandmas blue (lighter) than dad (darker). Picture is at 4 weeks. She happens to be the most social of all the litters. My husband thinks we should keep her...
Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 10.11.16 PM.png

Edit: Shes also the largest at this point. Her and her sibling are 2 days younger than the others!

Thanks for the update, Marie! It's always nice to have before/after shots for future reference, I think. :)

Marie28":l2nla1dr said:
She happens to be the most social of all the litters. My husband thinks we should keep her...
Mine is the same way... "Look, this one's such a sweetheart, and hey she's got good type to boot... let's keep her." Or, "Well, we don't have that color yet, and she's a darling... let's keep her."

It's only ever with the does, I've noticed (but I can't complain, I want to keep more bucks than I probably should). :p :lol:

Latest posts

Back