What color is this considered?? Pictures (10 days old kit)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inearth

Reaction score
IMG_20180617_091635_793 (2).jpg

This kit was born 10 days ago on june 7th,

The sire/Buck is a 5 pound californian.

The dam/Doe is a 3 pound Holland lop mix Lionhead

(they are the same size and the doe had no problems with her first litter of kits, 3 out of 4 lived. (meaning 1 died)

Harlequin
The sire is definitely not a californian, not only is he too small they don't carry the genes needed to make harlequin

Agreed, definitely harlequin color. japanese versus magpie harlequin.
And agreed, Californian, are Himi colored but much larger. My buck is about 10 pounds, and i think my doe is right around there. Shes small. Is that him in the pictures you uploaded, Milky Way?

SixGun":7njv5q8a said:
Agreed, definitely harlequin color. japanese versus magpie harlequin.
And agreed, Californian, are Himi colored but much larger. My buck is about 10 pounds, and i think my doe is right around there. Shes small. Is that him in the pictures you uploaded, Milky Way?

The sire is the californian I uploaded. Yes. Milky way.

The dam is the lionhead mix/holland lop I uploaded too. Yoda.

__________ Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 pm __________

SableSteel":7njv5q8a said:
Harlequin
The sire is definitely not a californian, not only is he too small they don't carry the genes needed to make harlequin

Im 100% positive the owner did not have any harlequins and other members have said that the sire is just small for his breed (5.2 pounds)

im 100% positive I bred my californian to the dam of this little kit. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 pm __________ <br /><br /> is it possible that the mother couldve produced both Black/Chocolate ? or no? im not an expert or any good at rabbit genetics.

Im not 100% sure about the dams history, I rescued her as a kit.

They dont need to carry harlequin to produce harlequin
They can carry non extension (orange, tortoise, ermine,etc) instead, as harlequin is dominant to that. But californians don't carry non extension either.

They can produce both black and chocolate, but both parents need to carry chocolate

SableSteel":2iccq8kw said:
They dont need to carry harlequin to produce harlequin
They can carry non extension (orange, tortoise, ermine,etc) instead, as harlequin is dominant to that. But californians don't carry non extension either.

They can produce both black and chocolate, but both parents need to carry chocolate

When I went to go buy My two californians about 1 or 2 years ago, I saw an adult rabbit in with them as well, It mightve been the mother or it mightve been the foster, Im not sure. the father was a californian 100% and the mother had like a broken red kinda brownish tint with white, she was beautiful!- I cant recall her eye color though.

The other californian I got is showing signs of a new zealand / californian. (Well, I think atleast.

I talked to the owner when they were born because I had gotten strange colors from the Holland/Lion and the Californian,

She said she wasnt sure if she bred the californian to the new zealand or Cali to cali at the time. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 pm __________ <br /><br /> Also I should mention the other kits... theres 4 in total, 3 of which survived.

Theres the one in the picture, Then the second one, a Caramel. Or light brown. looks like a toasty marshmallow.
^ Both of these are brown eyes.

Then theres the third one which is all white, I havent seen its eyes yet. itll probably open them tomorrow. ==((6/19/18))

Back