Rabbits having trouble breeding.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defiant Zebra

Reaction score
So I have been trying to breed my rabbits. My female is very cooperative and this will be the second litter with this male. However, for some reason I just can't get a "fallout" from him. He was able to get her pregnant the last litter, but he can't seem to do it again. It is a smaller buck with a bigger doe. The buck is a purebred red Mini Rex and the doe is a mix. If the reason why is because he is smaller, does anyone have any tips on breeding a smaller buck to a bigger doe?

If he's having trouble getting at her, maybe try table breeding? Bring the doe to a surface at a comfortable height for you to hold her back end up a little bit, then have the buck brought over and set behind her.

Just slide your hand under her abdomen and lift her hips/butt up. This should help him if she's refusing the breeding or if he's just having trouble reaching.

Good luck! :)

Defiant Zebra":ant23n75 said:
for some reason I just can't get a "fallout" from him.
PS: I think you mean "fall off"? ;) :D

Nymphadora":699v6k0n said:
If he's having trouble getting at her, maybe try table breeding? Bring the doe to a surface at a comfortable height for you to hold her back end up a little bit, then have the buck brought over and set behind her.

Just slide your hand under her abdomen and lift her hips/butt up. This should help him if she's refusing the breeding or if he's just having trouble reaching.

Good luck! :)

Defiant Zebra":699v6k0n said:
for some reason I just can't get a "fallout" from him.
PS: I think you mean "fall off"? ;) :D

Thank you! And yes I had a typo with fall off lol <br /><br /> -- Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:41 pm -- <br /><br /> It is still not working. Maybe I should just give it time.

I had this trouble with a buck
HE was over weight....
Maybe put your buck on a diet and try again in a couple of weeks....

ALSO... I have had a litter born to a doe that the buck did not have a successful fall off... so, he might be doing his job, just not dramatically!
Make sure you give her a nest box either-way.

I've had a very small netherland buck breed mini rex does over standard and small mutt does so size is probably not the main issue. If the doe is not lifting even a large buck will have trouble. Is she truly cooperating or is she just playing possum with her butt tucked? They don't have to run away to be refusing breeding. It's just easier for them to avoid a smaller buck without having to move or complain. Sometimes just getting them out of the cage moving around on a large table or small floor pen helps whatever problem either one is causing.

This last time a bred we breed two days in a row. The second day I tried to breed ruby (doe) and topaz (buck), Topaz was not falling off, I put another doe in and he fell off of her immediately. I'm assuming ruby was just sitting and not lifting. I would try table breeding.

I also second that some bucks are not as "dramatic" as others.

Back