Register

English Angora or English Lop

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,402.00

English Angora or English Lop

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Maleficent » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:12 pm

What are your guy's opinions on these two types of rabbits? I really want to get serious about showing and never could with my dutch as I never really had anything worth showing. Both breeds I absolutely adore the looKS of and I have friends who work with both breeds who really want me to work with their breeds.

I love the angora as it has so many purposes (fiber, pet, and can be meat with certain lines) yet I live the lops for their gentle personality and those to die for ears! The angora come in my favorite color verity though (BEW) which the lops don't come in that I am aware of.

The lops have minimal grooming though, but I don't mind having to maintain that floof of the angora, as it is I already groom my extended famiy's pets.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,361.00

Re: English Angora or English Lop

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:19 pm

I have experience with both Elops and english angoras. The elops I find to be somewhat susceptible to disease, and their ears make them rather high maintenance. A beautiful rabbit can be ruined if stressed enough to chew its own ears. I also find them to be more susceptible to overheating.
English Angora are beautiful. Grooming is a must and is necessary more often than the other angora breeds. Other angora breeds would also be better meat producers. Also, as far as a show career, english angora rarely stay competitive after about 7 months of age. The first coat is the best for show standards.
Just my two cents.

United States of America

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Maleficent » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:48 pm

SixGun wrote:I have experience with both Elops and english angoras. The elops I find to be somewhat susceptible to disease, and their ears make them rather high maintenance. A beautiful rabbit can be ruined if stressed enough to chew its own ears. I also find them to be more susceptible to overheating.
English Angora are beautiful. Grooming is a must and is necessary more often than the other angora breeds. Other angora breeds would also be better meat producers. Also, as far as a show career, english angora rarely stay competitive after about 7 months of age. The first coat is the best for show standards.
Just my two cents.

Thank you for your insight! It's nice to have the view point from someone who had both and could point out the flaws in both. Someone else has pointed out that fact about other angoras as well, but I just don't feel as enthusiastic about them as I do for the English verity.

Out of the two which would you personally recommend?

Site Supporter
1 year of membership

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SixGun » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:15 am

I am completely biased, and I'm not sure I'll ever be without Angora. In fact I can see myself branching into having all 4 recognized breeds in the ARBA, plus Germans. I think they are absolutely the best.

United States of America

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Maleficent » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:29 pm

I'm personally very drawn to the English Angora myself. I live the lops as well but just because I don't work with now doesn't mean I can never work with them.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SixGun » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:18 pm

precisely, the number of breeds you have is only limited by the amount of cage space you have. :)