Test breed ChinxREW

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I am waiting on a test breed for my satin Chin buck. I had kept back a nice REW doe from my meat buns litter with a previous owner and am now waiting to see what he throws. She is due anytime now and showing it. :D Both are Agouti based and since I've now read about the sable gene showing oddly on Agoutis is there a way to tell chins from potential sables apart?

Or was this just a way for me to get a whole litter of Chins with no way to confirm his C locust?

The sable gene isnt common in satins, I wouldnt expect to see it. If he does have it though you might see sable chins - they have a more brownish, shaded looked to their color. Or you might get some rews and confirm that he's cchdc

percentage wise, if he carries cchdc, you should see half of the kits REW cc on a breeding. OF course things never work so perfectly. If you were sill not to get any rew on this litter, then I think you'd be pretty safe saying he was cchd? You'd have to try a few more breedings though to make sure he's cchdcchd.

And yes, sable chin looks almost exactly like chin, but the markings and rings are somewhat lighter in color and there is a brownish tint to the chin.

Thanks SixGun. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of a sable chin? I tried google but couldnt find anything reliable.

She is pulling fur right now! Kits are imminent. It might have been easier on her to wait till evening though :\ 85° is not overly pleasant. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:38 pm __________ <br /><br /> Well I peeked and saw white :D So unless someone is hiding something really odd my buck is cchdc.

I have lots of rabbit color pictures, but most of them are not mine (I just save images for personal reference when I see interesting colors). Seems most of my sable chinchilla pictures are rex furred though lol

sablechinbaby.jpg
Heres a baby sable chinchilla

2017-01-18_19.42.36-642x396.jpg
Heres an older jr, with some notes I made on it (think this picture from rabbittalk originally :oops: )

Left agouti sable, right regular chin
BdSIaHM.jpg

It did take awhile to be certain of adult color. It was only a "probably" sable when I bought him as a 4month old.

Thank you both! A picture is a much better reference then just a description.

I ended up with 3 rew and 4 chins! I was kind of hoping for some squirrels this round, but at least thats one more locus confirmed. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:59 am __________ <br /><br /> And then things got confusing again. . . .

3 week old kits I thought were REW
20180701_074001.jpg
20180701_074024.jpg

The points will darken as they age and as it gets colder; however these looks to be agouti based himis (normal himis are self) so the points will never get as dark; chinchilla is the darkest theyll get, not black

Latest posts

Back