Placenta? Kinda getting worried.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie28

Reaction score
So two of our three bred Silver fox does gave birth today!

Our doe Ruby had 2 DOAs One was very large and kinda bloated the other one looked like she pulled it out (streched out with a hole in its belly area). She currently has 4 healthy but unfed kits in the beautiful nest she built. She has been acting very strange. She is spending a lot of time in her nest and she has not eaten her sunflower seeds (She is normally a total pig) Also she seems more panicked when we where looking at the kits than her other 3 litters. And when I last went out there I saw a bloody blob on the wire... placenta?... I dont know if maybe she has another kit stuck or what....

Anyone have any advice?

The stretched out kit, in my experience, does often happen with a "stuck" kit. If she has another stuck kit, she could still be having contractions and will eventually give birth, but it will be DOA almost certainly. If you do a visual inspection, you might be able to see something, but usually the kit is stuck further up the canal. If they're able to be reached the doe will help it along. If you had oxytocin available, Id give her a shot of that to keep the contractions going. I know some people have suggestions for herbal supplements that can help birth, but I honestly don't know what those are. If she were especially valuable, you could take her to the vet for an ultrasound to confirm a kit in the canal, but I think the costs would be incredible, and I'm not sure a c-section would be viable.

Shes been our best doe so far but not valuable enough for a vet visit. and no oxytocin available. My husband and I have decided to sit and wait. Shes does not like a lot of touch and I'm afraid trying to get her out of the cage my cause more harm than good at this point. but I did get a good look at her hind end and saw no blood or discharge...

Since you don't have oxytocin, give her a couple of TUMS (or other calcium antacid). The extra calcium may help.

How many kits has she had in past litters? That may give you a better guess as to whether she still has more buns in the oven.

Lavender buds, fresh or dried, will help her expel any contents of the uterus, but I don't know the effect on any retained kits. It's useful, however, when you suspect a dead kit or retained placental material needs to come out.

Keep an eye on her as best you can without upsetting her. If she was interrupted in the process of kindling by something external or by a stuck kit, there may be a pause before labour resumes.

:good-luck:

I agree with everything Maggie has said. I have had a doe give birth over a 36 hour period. There were two DOA in the middle, but the other 6 were healthy. Does are extremely adept at kindling. At this point wait and see, hope for the best, be prepared for the worst.

Thank you both for the responses.
She ate a dandelion, but still seems on edge. I think I will try a tums. The two DOA were very warm when my husband found them so maybe shes just pausing.

She had eight last litter but her other two were smaller 4 alive 1 DOA and 1 alive 1 DOA (accidental litter).

Gahh i hate waiting :[ <br /><br /> -- Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:27 pm -- <br /><br /> She fed her kits and is acting way more like herself. She even pulled more fur between my last look of the evening and this morning. :p

Latest posts

Back