Holland or mini?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vixieflower

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/gallery/CBsPLj1

Here is a link to more photos and a video of her. I have been doing some research and it sounds based on her size she may be a mini lop. What is a good way to tell between the two?

Attachments

• 9E7DCEA0-A55B-499F-9A4D-AD0E709EA466.jpeg
    9E7DCEA0-A55B-499F-9A4D-AD0E709EA466.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,100
Size looks more like a mini, but that color is more common in hollands. Without a pedigree you'd be best calling it a lop cross.
A lot of false dwarf pet line holland lops have features that look like mini lops, so without a pedigree or a lot familiarity with the lines it can be hard to tell between them.

Holland Lop (True Dwarf/Show Quality)
  • Under 4 lbs
  • High head mount (should carry head above shoulders)
  • Short ears (ideal length = even with jaw)
  • Rounded skull & especially rounded brow
  • Some common colors: tortoise, sable point, broken, orange

Holland Lop (False Dwarf/Pet or Brood Quality)
  • Usually about 3-5 lbs
  • High head mount (should carry head above shoulders) - however some, esp pet lines don't carry their head well
  • Longer ears
  • Longer limbs
  • Some common colors: tortoise, sable point, broken, orange

Mini Lop
  • 4.5-6.5 lbs, you see them up to 7-7.5 lbs though sometimes
  • Low head mount (should carry head below shoulders)
  • Longer ears
  • Rounded skull
  • Some common colors: chestnut, chinchilla, steel, broken

Pretty bun!

(and glad to see you made your way here from that other place)

I'll also throw in a vote for false dwarf Holland, but without a pedigree could be lop cross.

I have three false dwarf Holland does and two true dwarf Holland does all pedigreed. One of the false dwarf girls is 5 1/2 lbs and throws great big ole litters though (5-7 kits), I always put her with my teeny 2 3/4 lb buck. Some kits have their daddy's look and some have their mom's ridiculous long ears.

Back