Possible Californian with brindling??? (Need opinions)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenoshaRabbits

Reaction score
Hi there I have a color identification question. I have two rabbits that I thought were REW's when they were born. It was a bit of a shock because it was a NZ magpie buck which was chd/c (known) and a NZ/Cali doe which I thought was C/ch. It was her first litter and when I got the all white kits I figured she might have had the "c" instead of the "ch".
Anyways looking at them now I was wondering if the could be Californians with the brindling gene. I got a magpie out of the litter so I suppose it could be possible. On their points there is some black, and their ears look like there is brindling.

Do you guys think these are REW's but with some sort of black patches, or a Cali with brindling. Thanks.

-- Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:36 am --

Doe #1
1-a.jpg
1-b.jpg
1-d.jpg
1-e.jpg
1-f.jpg

They are definitely Himalayan colored. They often look REW when born and the points darken and darken for the first year.
As far as brindling. I suppose it is possible given what else you got in the litter. But it could also just be incomplete coloring in the points, which will eventually become more even and look Himalayan in the end.

Doe #2
2a.jpg
2f.jpg
2e.jpg
2g.jpg <br /><br /> -- Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:56 am -- <br /><br />
SixGun":rrk43z8g said:
They are definitely Himalayan colored. They often look REW when born and the points darken and darken for the first year.
As far as brindling. I suppose it is possible given what else you got in the litter. But it could also just be incomplete coloring in the points, which will eventually become more even and look Himalayan in the end.
At this point they are 13 weeks old. Attached are 2 pics from a Cali litter I had at the same time. From this litter the parents are the NZxCali's half brother and mother. At this point my Cali's tend to have well defined points. Which kinda has me leaning towards Himalayan with the brindling.
Cali-1.jpg
Cali-2.jpg

I know nonextension(ee) can really fade the points and the harli/brindle(ej) are another modified E locus gene. Partial or uneven change on the points from harli instead seems like it would make sense.

The second picture definitelu shows more coloring. What a neat coloring. I sure would love to introduce some harli to my meat mutt program. I have a harli chin, but she has yet to throw any kits and I'm about to remove her from my breeding program for other reasons. (She's an FG / Rex mix and the grow out is so much longer than the other kits.)

Latest posts

Back