Kit color I.D. help?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S&SFarms

Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble identifying a few kits in my current litter.
French angora. Momma is a tort (I believe blue), daddy is black. (maternal grandparents are blue and rew, paternal are rew and black)

9BFVAuL.jpg
b4pUsQR.jpg

When they were very little I thought they were lilacs but the dark tails and muzzles are throwing me off now. I've never seen a lilac in person though, so what do I know =P

Looks like maybe a blue pearl or pearl; it's odd to see lighter ears like that though, especially if its out of two self rabbits. Keep up updating on how this one grows if you can, shaded colors can change a lot as they age.

Interesting.
I'll definitely be back with more pictures as they age, there are three of this color. There are another two I'm thinking might be siamese sable now? It's so weird because sable anything wasn't what I expected from this litter. I didn't think chl could hide like that?

EDIT: Here's the rest of the litter. The two on the bottom left have me going between tort and not tort depending on the light they're in. I know I'm better off just waiting till they're bigger but it's nice knowing what to call them =P

VWizaTc.jpg
<br /><br /> __________ Wed May 23, 2018 10:16 am __________ <br /><br />
RATWn5G.jpg

2tqZEGF.jpg

I know this ones the worst, but it shows the point at least. Blue-gray eyes.

I'm thinking smoke pearl?

LittleFluffyBunnies":2uf0p1g2 said:
It looks really light to be a smoke pearl. Is it possible it's a blue/sable point?

I think googling colors is confusing me, oops.
For some reason I thought pearls had to have an even lighter body / more color on the face.

Pearls do have points, darker on face, ears, tail... and lighter body color. Smoke pearl is possible, darker colored body with that one, but not sure how likely with what you've listed as parentage. My first thought would be the shaded gene got in there somehow. PSFAngoras had a post last year with a similarly colored kit. Let me see if I can find it.

Better pics in natural light of all three
zDn74ly.jpg

the bottom one's a lot more sepia than the other two, but they all have the grey points and some very dark colored grey / sepia guard hairs, which is what keeps me from going with saying they're pearls. (Granted, I still have not seen an actual pearl in person, maybe they're darker than I've been thinking / seeing online. I'm also pretty sure I confused myself on a few color names because of breed differences)
y7z2TA9.jpg

Thank you Sixguns! I think that helps, they do look similar to your blue(?) pearl.
Did yours lighten up as they aged? I know pearls aren't supposed to be stark white, but they just seem so much darker up close. Could accidentally mixing with nonshaded have messed with it?
Also is pearl just the angora version of sable points? I think that's part of where I'm getting confused.
Mom is aa B- Cc dd ee and dad must have carried the shaded gene somehow? Cchl could have hid in his REW parent?
So he's aa B- CC(chl) D- E-

I'm sorry if this seems super obvious to everyone else, I never looked much into the shaded genes yet since I didn't think I'd be working with them.

Pearl in angora = sallander in other breeds (black pearl= black sallander, blue pearl = blue sallander, etc). Except sable pearl =sable point in other breeds. From what Ive seen they do appear to lighten as they age with the dark ticking on the wool (which varies; some have more some have less just like sable points in other breeds vary in cleanliness) becoming less noticeable with longer wool (that has white or near white undercolor).

What SableSteel says is absolutely correct. And yes, you can tell almost at birth that they are off-white verus a REW or BEW white, but only because even their skin is a tad darker, as REW and Himi are hot pink when born. Yours appear to be pearl, but like SableSteel said with more body color. With my litter it varied even amongst the litter. This boy had the whitest saddle, where one of his sisters, as an 18 month old, is a very dark whitish color, almost as dark as the points on the pearl above.

Latest posts

Back