How long after spay can rabbit jump level to level?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madi_sway

Reaction score
My Netherland Dwarf rabbit, Piper, is two weeks out from her spay(Friday, May 11th). She's in a 3x2 grid blocked off area of the NIC cage, which is six grids long, two wide, and 4 levels high. Each level has a step that is about 7 inches high that she has to jump onto, then she jumps to the next level.

She got a good report from the vet 10 days after her spay(Monday, May 21st). How soon can she begin going from level to level? I don't want to risk her injuring herself.

The thing about having her spayed is that yes, 10 days after surgery, the skin is fairly well healed. However the muscles, tendons underneath are still healing. They take much longer to nit back together. I would give her about 2-3 weeks before allowing her to jump from level to level. If she is starting to get bored try making her some toys that she can fling around or chew on. You can definitely allow her to run around your home, just don't let her jump up onto anything above her shoulders.

What Sagebrush says makes good sense to me. I'd just like to add that when it is time to give her access to the other levels that it might be a good idea to just give her access to one at first and see how she does. She may get super-excited if she can get to all levels at first.

Sagebrush":2conv8a6 said:
The thing about having her spayed is that yes, 10 days after surgery, the skin is fairly well healed. However the muscles, tendons underneath are still healing. They take much longer to nit back together. I would give her about 2-3 weeks before allowing her to jump from level to level. If she is starting to get bored try making her some toys that she can fling around or chew on. You can definitely allow her to run around your home, just don't let her jump up onto anything above her shoulders.

She will be 3 weeks out from surgery tomorrow. She has lots of toys in her cage, and is constantly tearing the cardboard i have attatched to the divider so the baby Netherland and LH/ND mix can't squeeze through to her. But, she's trying to exercise more, and letting her out in my room isn't too big of a deal... except she likes to jump on my bed, which is a good 2 feet tall.

MaggieJ":2conv8a6 said:
What Sagebrush says makes good sense to me. I'd just like to add that when it is time to give her access to the other levels that it might be a good idea to just give her access to one at first and see how she does. She may get super-excited if she can get to all levels at first.

I think I'll try giving her access to the 3rd level(they're currently on 4th) and put both my babies on the 4th. The third level has one step, but she would only be able to jump onto the step, not another level. She has already jumped that high once, into HER high sided litter pan I was moving to make room for my BEW ND doe and made the mistake of putting in her area for like less than a minute(this was about a week ago). She is also jumping pretty high when binkying across her 28" x 42" section of the cage, so I think she might be safe to try that. I'll block off that section and give her access to it!

Thank y'all!!

Latest posts

Back