Present

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you might have spotted a post where I was telling Akane about Mucky and Thistle-Pig's unfortunate end.

Long story short, Mucky, my all time favorite rabbit pet, developed malocclusion in her rear teeth, and was suffering pretty badly by the time we discovered the cause. :cry: After her euthanasia, her guinea pig companion, Thistle-pig, refused feed. :cry:
One of the things we attempted to do to cheer him up was to place his previous mates, Latte-Pig and Thelma-pig in his pen, to provide some company. He didn't seem to take to them at all, and continued wasting away. We ended up euthanizing him 3 weeks after Mucky's passing. :cry:

After his passing, I set the girls up in a pen in the rabbitry and didn't pay much attention to them. (They don't mind.)
Latte-pig and Thelma-pig.jpg

Today, I had them out for nail trimming though, and.. Surprise, surprise. :p

IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_1000.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG <br /><br /> __________ Fri May 04, 2018 1:48 am __________ <br /><br /> So, when do you think she's due?

She's not huge but they are sitting pretty far back. She's not even really pear shaped anymore. soo.... tomorrow to 1 month from now :lol: Sometimes I mildly note the pups are shifting and find a litter 2 days later. Other times I spend weeks wondering how their hips still work before they truly start labor.

*keeps telling herself she doesn't need any more critters*

My goodness, those are cuties.

Here is the boar.
I never did find a rabbit that Mucky could be with long term, as she'd always eventually get to the stage where she would mount, or else they would mount her.

Thistle pig was my eventual solution, they were inseparable for years. I'm posting him now to see if Akane has any guesses on the colors I might get?

Attachments

• 25994821_525249734527064_7726549927187674497_n.jpg
    25994821_525249734527064_7726549927187674497_n.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,552
It would probably be called a beige and cream but it depends how specific someone wants to get on naming the shade of the red-cream color. Genetically a beige with a brindle gene like the rabbit harlequin gene. Beige is chocolate based self with dilution genes and the pink eye gene. The dilution genes have overlap rather than a specific result so it's hard to say which ones.

akane":2r9yzmfy said:
It would probably be called a beige and cream but it depends how specific someone wants to get on naming the shade of the red-cream color. Genetically a beige with a brindle gene like the rabbit harlequin gene. Beige is chocolate based self with dilution genes and the pink eye gene. The dilution genes have overlap rather than a specific result so it's hard to say which ones.

I actually got Thistle-pig and Latte -pig from the same place, although they were different ages. (She was full grown, he was young.) So it's possible she carries recessives that can match up interestingly. I really hope she can make another like him, as I always loved his color. I'll make sure to post pictures of what she produces. :)

This is the more recognized range of red with dilution genes instead of just splitting them into red or cream depending if they are diluted.
coloursREDSCALE.jpg

Cream, saffron, buff, 2 shades of gold, and the desired color for a not diluted red for show but I have rarely seen a red that got darker than the golds despite not having any dilution.

My husband said they are too uneven for a pear by the time they give birth. He starts calling them gourd shaped the last few weeks before pups appear. :lol:

HOW did anyone get THAT picture??? G-pig wrangler supreme indeed! :shock:

What a good idea though to show the different colors.

Sad about your loss of both bunny and g-pig but what a great surprise!

Oh dear, how sad is that! (((hug)))

Perhaps getting another boar and trying again might make you feel better?

It's OK guys. As much as I was excited about little thistle-piggies to raise, I'm really just glad that Latte-pig made it through what must have been a difficult birth. I'll just enjoy these girls in their retirement, I think, as they are getting older.

Back