What colors are these kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeroBlanco

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have three kits, two of a litter (the darkest kits) and a singleton with different mother. About the first two: both buck and doe are black and carry dilute. About the other: buck blue, doe broken chocolate otter torted.

The first two: I'm almost sure that one is black, the other was born of a blue color, but it became darker with the days. I think that it could be seal/sable? Its belly and feet are very greyish.

The singleton: it's almost all white and it is very little colored. It must be a broken, since the father is solid, but what is its real color? I thought something like blue or lilac tort because the spot close to its nose is darker than the ears.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 1,211
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 1,211
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 1,211
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 1,212
American Fuzzy Lop, but in my country there is not a strict regulation on rabbits breeds and many of them are sold without pedigree, so there could be all colors involved. This kit in particular is double maned. I had a black tort and chocolate tort in the past, but they looked different, colors were darker. I don't know if buck carries chocolate and if doe carries dilute. <br /><br /> __________ Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm __________ <br /><br /> Little update: the singleton's eyes seem clear, very probably not brown.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 1,194
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 1,194
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 1,193
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 1,194
It's hard to tell colors without knowing the breeds super well.. Im not familiar with what genes are common in fuzzy lops where you live. (using ARBA terms:) The solid ones look like a black and what may be a sable (or maybe a very dark blue). The other baby's markings are broken (false charlie), the color is dilute but I cant tell from this if it's blue tortoise, blue torted otter or blue torted tricolor

Very helpful, thanks for your help, especially about the little lop that I'd like to keep with me. But I'm very interested also in the other two because, if one of the kit is sable, it means that the parents carry cchl gene and this is a nice surprise.

Looks like the lighter "black" could maybe be seal but I'm not sure. Possibly just black with a modifier or hidden gene of some sort. I've had black kits in a litter that were most definitely black but of different shades. Had thought the one was a seal but it ended up being black. Got darker as it grew. I think it might have been a self chinchilla because I think the mother carries it.

The lighter black was born almost blue, but it got darker. It has a sort of shimmery cast that maybe is not visible from the photos, but I can tell that is different from the black. However, I will update with new photos in the next weeks :)

To me they look like a black, a blue or seal, and a broken blue tort. I'm no expert on colors though :lol:

The two dark babies are almost surely a black and a seal. About the other, I have an update: I saw her eyes (yes, very probably a doe) and they are light, but they have a sort of pink shade. They are like...light purple? So, could be she a broken lilac tort instead? The mother carried chocolate for sure. I'm not sure about the father, but it could be.

Back