Register

Keeping Rabbits Cool in hot temperatures

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30.00

Keeping Rabbits Cool in hot temperatures

Post Number:#1  Unread postby BranscumFarm » Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 am

Check out this video. My rabbits are loving the ice and I don't have to worry about them eating the water bottles. I'm also going to give frozen fruit as a treat.
https://youtu.be/Qmi-Pn_JpMM
Branscum Farm on Facebook and YouTube

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,255.00

Re: Keeping Rabbits Cool in hot temperatures

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed May 16, 2018 11:09 am

great idea, I used quart containers , the ice was dumped out for the rabbits each day- and, then refilled and refrozen each day to keep the rabbits cool [-when I lived in N.Ca. -heat was brutal, often reaching 120 f outside temp] the containers I used looked a lot like this picture I found on the internet.. https://www.google.com/search?q=picture ... 2368623716
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 35,835.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 pm

That would actually be just as useful in front of the fan they appear to be running anyway. In a wire cage with an easily stripped floor underneath you don't have to worry about the water. In colonies or probably also for people who can't frequently strip a dirt floor or outdoor ground underneath I ended up with a cocci outbreak just from the condensation running down closed containers of ice. To avoid chewing I just use thicker containers. Rabbits usually don't get through thicker juice bottles compared to some of those exceedingly cheap plastic water bottles. Simply brand lemonade and orange juice also make a water bottle sized single serving and occasionally I'll grab one because the citric acid helps with electrolyte imbalances in heat rather than drinking straight water. If you freeze it with some space on it's side glass can be used but you have to properly account for the expanding ice and over a given area. If the top freezes first on a deep container the bottom will still crack. You can also freeze soda cans refilled with water and only bending a bit if overfilled but not having a resealing top they will spill if not secured upright. Water bottle wires or sliding them into 2 rings of heavy zip ties stops most from messing with it. You have to get more creative in an a/c failure emergency with chinchillas that can't be over 80F. Water bottle material lasts some of my small exotics seconds. That's where the ice in front of a fan instead of in the cage cools a larger area from a single large container that is not around the animals. Only if you even have electricity though.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 257.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Wed May 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Awesome, I'm going to try that since my fridge keeps making ice and I never use it anyway! I tried the frozen bottles but I can't fit enough in the freezer. Frozen fruit is also a great idea, thanks!