• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Would you trust this buyer?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winterwolf

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
(Sorry if this is the wrong category, wasn't entirely sure which category this topic should go in.)

Due to health issues, I can no longer keep up with the grooming requirements of my angoras, so I'm trying to find new homes for them asap. But I'm extremely attached to these rabbits and it's very important to me that they find good homes. I was messaged today by a lady wanting to take one of them (it happens to be my favorite doe, too) and I'm not sure what to respond. I'm naturally paranoid when it comes to protecting my animals, so I'm hoping to get some unbiased opinions.

So the lady messaged me via Facebook to ask about taking home one of the does and I immediately noticed that we were already connected on messenger, which I thought was odd. I looked back and saw that apparently we'd been in touch several months ago about a buck she was trying to buy from me. She had seemed really sweet and friendly at the time and claimed to have experience with angoras, so we agreed on a price. A few weeks later, after postponing our meeting twice, she messaged to say that she needed to wait until payday so she'd have the money to give me. I thought that was odd because the price we agreed on was only $25, but I was just trying to get him sold before our vacation, so I agreed to let her have him for free if she could pick him up that weekend. She ended up postponing two more times and then stopped messaging me altogether. I wasn't really upset about it, and decided to just keep the buck anyways.

Back to today's encounter. Once again, she's asking if I can hold the doe until payday because she doesn't have enough money for her. But the price we agreed on was $30. I'm concerned that she seems to have such trouble keeping even such a small amount on hand. Especially since I know how expensive it is to keep angoras. She seems like a really sweet person, but I'm worried about her not keeping up with the rabbit's care. As I said, I'm really attached to my bunnies and want them to have good homes, but I also need them sold asap because of my health problems keeping me basically housebound.

So, what would you do in this situation?

Nope. Given your previous interactions with her, and the fact that she seems to have money troubles... I would not sell to her. Money troubles and pets don't really play well together, and usually the pet gets the short straw. Your instincts are saying the same thing.

Please don't feel guilty for wanting to make sure your animals are well taken care of in their new homes, it's a very responsible thing to do. And if the lady asks why, you can opt to tell her that you don't think it's a good fit (don't go into much detail, short and sweet is best).

Have you tried posting in different areas (relevant Facebook groups, community boards, the local Starbucks)? I know you mentioned that you need to move the bunnies sooner rather than later, so it can't hurt expanding where you're posting.

For me anyone who skips a meeting once is already suspect, a second time and I flat out refuse to sell to em after that. That lady as long passed that mark and seems irresponsible and untrustworthy so nope.
Maybe I'm weird but I'd prefer the bunny ended up on my dinner plate then go with someone I do not trust whatsoever. Better them dying in love and care then suffer through abuse and neglect in my book, but as I said I'm just weird I guess

So sorry you have to give up your rabbits. That must really hurt. (((HUGS)))

I agree with Nymphadora. This lady may be sweet, but she is unreliable and too short of money to be taking on pets. Is she going to ask the rabbit to wait until payday for her to buy pellets?

I commend you for wanting really good homes for your buns and I think you should listen to your gut on issues like this. If you didn't have serious doubts, you wouldn't be asking.

Thank you so much everyone for your input! I was worried that I was just overreacting to the situation, so it really helps hearing your thoughts.

Nymphadora":33yg1xvc said:
Have you tried posting in different areas (relevant Facebook groups, community boards, the local Starbucks)? I know you mentioned that you need to move the bunnies sooner rather than later, so it can't hurt expanding where you're posting.

I'm not really active on any social media sites (I just use Facebook for handling rabbit-related business) but I could definitely put some ads up in the local feed stores, vets, etc. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

MaggieJ":33yg1xvc said:
So sorry you have to give up your rabbits. That must really hurt. (((HUGS)))

Thank you so much! :love: It was a really difficult decision to make, but I know it's not fair to the rabbits for me to keep them when I can't care for them as well as they deserve. Now the hard part is trying to make sure they get good homes.

I can't believe you are selling angoras so low :shock: Even just woolers cost MUCH more around here. Also, I find that many of those wishy-washy buyers are attracted to buns with a low price tag.

I wish I was close enough to take them off your hands. I love grooming the little guys, and having the wool on hand for crafts.

I'd be more concerned about the back and forth of not picking them up even when free and then disappearing. If someone is committed to getting a specific breed why did they fail to contact you and get a free one only to ask later? If they had gotten one somewhere else why are they asking now? I'd probably pass them up if I can find other homes because of their questionable behavior and whether they even really want a rabbit to care for.

As far as money it's not uncommon for me to put off even $20-$30 of something until my husband's next paycheck. Ongoing costs for things we already have are mostly covered at the beginning of the month and then the remainder used for random stuff and paying off things that aren't required to be covered yet. If you talk to me at the wrong 2 weeks of the month I will be broke again if I didn't have a solid amount in mind several weeks earlier. With student loans, hospital bill from surgery, and a loan to more completely replace the old swiss cheese pipes instead of clearing them yearly the money can always go somewhere if it has no immediate use but I don't want to spend the first decades of my life paying loans off early without enjoying anything.

Winterwolf,

Contact PSFAngoras, http://rabbittalk.com/member/PSFAngoras/. She is big into French for harvesting the fur and spinning. She lives near me so you're not to far away and may be able to work out her taking all you have available. She and her hubby are in the process of buying a new place and she'll have plenty of "bunny room". :mrgreen:

She's very busy right now but tell I saw your post and sent you, "that I just wanted to help with her bunny addiction". :lol:

;)

The distance between us is a shame... It would not have been a bad thing for me to diversify my French Angora bloodlines. :) (And if you're selling them for $25, no less! :p ) But if PSF can take them on, as Homer suggested, that would be pretty fantastic. I've heard good things about her and her rabbits when I was down in the US last year.

Also, my sympathies regarding your experience with a flaky buyer. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have a buyer waffle on you not once, but twice! I just got my first taste of that in that I had a potential buyer who was inquiring after SixGun's rabbits, originally, but lived an hour from me. After I imported my stock from SixGun, this lady placed a request to me for a trio. So after breeding to meet her planned timeline, well... lets just say that's not happening any more and I have an abundance of buns. Ah well. At least I'll have a good selection to chose from when I decide if/when to take some out to the local show in July.

To answer mostly the original post; I'd explain to her that no, no holds, that it's first come first serve. Strange behavior aside (repeatedly missing meetups and then ultimately not responding and then clearly forgetting who you were now :p) it's possible she's selling her own rabbits and just trying to distract the competition - you. Very common practice, usually on craigslist, not so much facebook where who you are seems more transparent. I sell some animals for substantially more than $30 ($500) and have never had the "payday" excuse thrown at me. I'm honestly baffled by that one. If you can't do $30, then how are you planning to house it? Feed it? Groom it? Get it vet care if something suddenly came up? It isn't even just the waiting till payday to make such purchases that gets me, it's the trying to buy a living animal with money they don't even have yet and expecting a seller to accommodate that. That's the part I don't get at all. Goes without saying that I personally don't hold anything for anyone, don't bother me until you're ready for the cost and responsibility first.

Edited to second that that price seems really cheap for angoras. Here E. Angoras go for around $80 ea. for babies, regardless of gender.

No, absolutely not.

I've told people hey I need to wait til payday and I usually tell them why. Usually it's because I just dropped a bunch of money on something and OMG timing sucks so bad right now please hold it for me? But I'm sure as heck not gonna blow you off, especially for a price we agreed on that is typically way less than normal value (assuming that's the case from the omg I can't believe you're selling them so cheap comment above).

It stinks of hoarder, flipper or young person.... like super young can't work a full time job and buying behind parents back person. Maybe it's not, either way if you can't afford a $25 rabbit and you keep blowing me off even when I offer it for free.... You don't need the rabbit.

Waiting for payday wouldn't bother me near as much as canceling over and over. That is bad character and the pet would most likley be neglected. I am sorry you are in this position but you will find loving homes for them

Back