Olaf went to the vet....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olafthebunny

Reaction score
Well um...hello Rabbit Talk............I've been missing for awhile hey? Well I should hopefully be back now!
This week, I was petting my adorable mini Angora bunny, Olaf, when I felt a lump under his chin. And you know lumps in rabbits are never really a good thing. I was really worried it was a tumor or a dental abscess. My sister who is learning how to be a vet, checked it out and said it was either a skin abscess or dental one.
We took him to the vet the next morning. He said it looked like an abscess and he checked it out. He lanced it, and no puss came out, which means not an abscess. Then he said it was a skin swelling, meaning Olaf cut himself, got a bug bite, or pricked himself with some hay or wire. He gave us some meds and Protexin, which Olaf will be on for 5 days.
We have to make sure the spot where the vet lanced it stays open in case it was the early start of an abscess, so that anything can drain out. I have been having to clean it twice a day and give him half a pill twice a day.
The lump has been looking so much better! It's less red and a little smaller! I'm so happy it wasn't something super serious. :)
Please pray it keeps healing well! :bunnyhop:

Good luck
Abscesses happen on the chin a lot even discounting the ones caused by tooth problems - bucks especially rub it on everything to scent mark, and that's a good way to get the skin scratched up.
I had one in almost the exact same situation as yours... lump on the chin looked like an abscess, but nothing came out when the vet lanced it. The swelling went down after being put on antibiotics (sub-q pen g)

Thanks both of you!
@Sable Steel, He does chin everything in sight, so it probably was that! His medication ended today, but I am still cleaning the area and giving the probiotics. Those bucks hey? So territorial :lol: <br /><br /> -- Thu May 17, 2018 3:04 am -- <br /><br /> Olaf's chin is looking so much better! He has finished his medicine and is still on his protexin, and I am cleaning his wound often.

Back