Ooops, she did it again...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read domestic and wild rabbits cannot create live offspring since they are two different species, unless you're asking about a domestic buck who went wild due to carelessness from a previous owner?

Such a gorgeous litter with such variety! I cannot wait until I get a nestbox full of colors :in_love:

that's just in america - our wild rabbits are a different species, but in europe, they are the same, so a wild rabbit in europe absolutely can breed with a domestic one. preitler lives in austria, so it's pretty reasonable to suspect that a wild bunny may be the dad! i don't think a wild rabbit would carry tort though ;P

those are really pretty kits, wow. that broken tort :love: :love: that one is gonna be a looker.

alforddm":qrzpll0p said:
Is your buck the sire or did she find a wild rabbit?

It's definitly my buck. Where I live now there is no wild rabbit population, only a few hares now and than - thank god. At my last apartment the wild ones infected my rabbits with Myxo.

Actually, I had it happen once that a young wild buck slipped through the fence and knocked up one of my does, the only one that is agouti too (sure carries a lot more, like something broken). Our wild rabbits are exactly the same species as domestics.

Was an interesting litter, sold 2 does to a farmer who wanted to repopulate his land with wild rabbits and had little luck with pure wild ones (there are not many breeders for those)

One of these kits:

Attachments

• halbwild.jpg
    halbwild.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,916
Preitler":3rsqkvo8 said:
alforddm":3rsqkvo8 said:
Is your buck the sire or did she find a wild rabbit?

It's definitly my buck. Where I live now there is no wild rabbit population, only a few hares now and than - thank god. At my last apartment the wild ones infected my rabbits with Myxo.

Actually, I had it happen once that a young wild buck slipped through the fence and knocked up one of my does, the only one that is agouti too (sure carries a lot more, like something broken). Our wild rabbits are exactly the same species as domestics.

Was an interesting litter, sold 2 does to a farmer who wanted to repopulate his land with wild rabbits and had little luck with pure wild ones (there are not many breeders for those)

One of these kits:

Wow that's an awesome story :D
I wish there was wild buns here. I know there's some technically but I've never seen any. The risk of diseases is sucky but a cross with fresh genes would be fun. Although that's only if the species are the same obviously XD

shazza":3bj3jmg6 said:
preitler lives in austria, so it's pretty reasonable to suspect that a wild bunny may be the dad!

Aug! You're right, I didn't even think about the fact that this forum is worldwide and just assumed she lived in the states. #Ignorant. My bad :lol:

Gosh, it's becoming a running gag :evil:

I didn't want to breed her this year, but she was the first one to kindle. Again.

Since my freezer is well filled and there's no chance of selling some anymore I only wanted to breed the two younger does, but now all four either already kindled or are expecting.

At least, this time I know what happened, the old, somewhat clumsy guy who looks after my rabbits when I'm away came over before palm sunday to cut willow twigs, and he didn't latch the gate (I never open it, it's low enough to step over it) between lower and upper section of my garden (my buck has the upper part) - 2 does pregnant.

I then bred my youngest doe anyway, since she's over a year old already.

On April 30. he was back, we were cutting a tree for the maypole, and at some point in the evening when I was with the guys guarding the maypole (last year it got cut down because we didn't guard it until midnight, kind of tradition here) he returned to get his jacket, using that gate and not latching it, again. The last doe pregnant. :evil:

*sigh*
A lot of work, raising so many kits, and I had to connect hutches so I can seperate them for a few days around kindling, and because I'll have to keep the then 3 week old litter away from the last nest - they would trample all over it.
The first two litters, one day apart, yielded 5 and 8 kits, that's about what I was aiming for this year, but now 2 more litters are coming. I run out of freezer space.

First thing I'll do when I'm done setting up the hutches is building an automatic latch. :?

Latest posts

Back