Cupcake and sneezing **UPDATE**

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
Ok, so I gave Cupcake some water in a dish because it seemed that she was not drinking well from the bottle. I think the toggle is faulty. As she was drinking, she sneezed a couple of times. I figured it was the water. I picked her up and laid her in my lap on her back. She has a couple of sore spots just below her ears where it looks like she has scratched herself. Also, I noticed some dried mucous in one nostril, like a booger. I checked her paws and could not really tell if there was matting. They were damp, but she had just been cleaning her face with them. So, now I am concerned that she may be sick. I am guessing that she is about 8 weeks old or so.

Isolate her and care for her last so you don't carry any infection to the others. It could be snuffles. How long have you had her and where did you get her? Sorry, but I can't remember.

MaggieJ":cv6ok1jy said:
Isolate her and care for her last so you don't carry any infection to the others. It could be snuffles. How long have you had her and where did you get her? Sorry, but I can't remember.

I have had her about 2-3 weeks. I got her from the local feed store. I have not noticed any other sneezing from her, but I will treat her as if it IS snuffles, just in case. When you say "isolate" how far away do you mean?

I think at least six feet away in all directions is the minimum... further would be better...

Another building altogether would be best. It's always a good idea to have a quarantine cage set up in a different location and to use it routinely when you get new rabbits. I try to keep a closed herd to prevent illnesses being brought in, but if I do have to bring in a new rabbit I always quarantine for a full month.

This morning I checked and she is not sneezing, but she did have one nostril that looked snotty. She is eating, but not voraciously. Hubby removed her to the garage. I am concerned that she may have spread this to the others and the babies...what can I do? Is there any kind of preventative that would help? What is the best thing to clean with?

There are lots of things you can clean with, but good old bleach solution is best for equipment, when there are no rabbits present, and rinse or air dry thuroghly before re-introducing rabbits.

As for prevention, good isolation (no cross contamination from you either), no stressors, and good nutrition are the only ones I know of--so I would be offerning hay, pellets, fresh greens like dandelions, and maybe apple cider vinegar in the water...

Back