- Posts: 197
- Joined: April 4, 2014
- Location: Southeastern Oklahoma
- Thanks: 41
- Thanked: 27 in 26 posts
- BunnyBucks: 1,290.00
The blue doe is out of a blue (aaBbCcddEe) and ST blue steel? (AaBb_cchdddEse)
1. What would I need to breed her to to find out what she's carrying under that C allele? REW? Then what offspring would I get according to which one she's carrying?
2. Wouldn't the Es be showing through E as codominant if she had it? So we know she's got non-extension then? I could have tort babies!
3. 50% self 50% agouti outcomes right, since aa and Aa?
4. How soon is too soon to fall in love with two rabbits? I'm pretty sure it was at first sight.
- Posts: 814
- Joined: May 30, 2014
- Location: Southwest USA
- Thanks: 6
- Thanked: 252 in 228 posts
- BunnyBucks: 4,007.00
2. Steel messes with agouti expression. IF she is really aa, then steel will not show whether she is EsE, Ese, or EsEs (if the blue parent is out of the same lines as the ST blue steel I wouldn't discount it from being a potential hidden steel either). If she's not aa, and A_ instead, she'll show steel if she is EsE, maybe or maybe not if she is Ese and rarely if she is EsEs. Because there is a chance for her to be either A_ or aa, we can't guarantee whether she carries nonextension or not.
3. If she is aa, then you should get 50% self (aa) and 50% agouti (Aa). However, if she is one of those hidden steels (for example, Aa B_ C_ dd Ese) you might get different results. The presence of the steel gene in lines makes it harder to predict agouti stuff.
- Posts: 7030
- Joined: July 17, 2010
- Location: Iowa
- Thanks: 1
- Thanked: 1039 in 921 posts
- BunnyBucks: 36,195.00
The real life odds of a single litter though can skew testing for both dominant and recessive versions at the same time. Sometimes it saves time to just use 2 different rabbits for 2 different test breeding litters so you can prove one set of genes and then the other. In this case expression of agouti and expression of self as 2 separate litters to determine if the doe has agouti, if she has chinchilla, and that you don't have any other c locus recessives.
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests