Question on Breeding AOV to Tan Pattern (Woolies)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
Hello,
I raise Jersey Woolies and I'm looking at getting a gorgeous Pointed White Jersey Wooly doe at Nationals. All I have is black otter, so she'd be bred to my black otter buck eventually, if I decide to purchase her. Is breeding a black otter to a pointed White a no-no? What colors would I get in the offspring?
Thanks in advance!

It all depends on what other genetics the pointed white / Himalayan

Any information on the pointed whites parents, siblings, offspring etc...

It's not ideal. First generation has a good chance of just being otters (maybe some sable martens, blacks or pointed white martens mixed in depending on what the otter carries. The colors of this breeding are largely dependent on the otter, since the pointed white is recessive on both the A and C genes. ) but when you get pointed white and tan pattern expressing on the same rabbit you get pointed white martens, which aren't recognized

Okay, thank you both. As for what colors the parents were, it is my understanding that this breeder has been breeding pointed White to pointed White for three generations in this rabbit's pedigree. All her siblings are pointed White as well. Wouldknow what colors/color groups would be ideal to breed to black otter?

Well that's not much help :x

Thankfully, like most long furred breeds, Woolies accept a lot of colours and the biggest issue would be if non-extension is hiding in the pointed white as tort otters are not showable

You'll most likely get chestnuts or black otters or blacks and possibly martens or PW if the otter carries a recessive on its C-locus

It should be very interesting :p

Latest posts

Back