Amada kidded this afternoon

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Nerve-wracking day keeping watch over Amada but all's well that ends well. Last year Dora had 3 kids but the first 2 were born dead and she needed help since they weren't giving any. We bought Amada last year, after she kidded so we didn't know what to expect from her. She needed a little help at the end because the single kid was larger than usual, but clearly alive and presented correctly with head and front hooves.
Joanna hasn't named her yet, but I think of her as Stripe, because that's what I noticed first, the dark stripe down her back and face markings--expected her to be more all white.
Again, I'm attaching proof.

Attachments

• IMG_2811.jpg
    IMG_2811.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,339
  • IMG_2812.jpg
    IMG_2812.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,339
She's beautiful. What breed(s) are they? Looks like a Nubian,but I'm new to goats..

Thorn":jx5prifc said:
She's beautiful. What breed(s) are they? Looks like a Nubian,but I'm new to goats..

We have goats for the milk--and cheese we make from it. Our current does are
dora, alpine and Amada, saanen. We don't keep a buck and don't try to raise our own replacement does. We breed one doe each year and milk the other one right through (so we never are reduced to store milk). Usually we breed to a Boer buck because the kids are usually bought for meat. But this fall when we went to the farm where we've gone in recent years to breed to a Boer, they said that buck was having a problem and they had this mixed breed, Nubian crossed with a mixed dairy doe. So the kid is quite a mix--and you're right there is Nubian in there.

Such a pretty baby. I have raised saanens for 5 years and have a few nubians. My doe had a buckling about 3 weeks ago and another doe is overdue and ready at any moment. I can't wait for her to kid. I have a grand total of 16 goats but that really sucks when we go to trim hooves or clean stalls.

Latest posts

Back