Register

Palpating, Day 31

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 230.00

Palpating, Day 31

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Shan_non » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:23 pm

My Silver Fox doe is on day 31. By now she usually has a nest made and/or has kindled. She hasn't started nesting. She has been eating less for a week or so. At this point I am second guessing my palpating from day 10/11 when I was sure I felt grape sized babes. Now when I palpate I am having trouble determining if I am actually feeling babes or just her tensing and organs. Any tips? I always get very impatient and anxious after day 30!

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,102.00

Re: Palpating, Day 31

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:13 pm

wait another few days
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Homer

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,885.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Homer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:27 pm

The last doe that had a litter here was crazy. Gave her all the goods to make a nest but, nope, can't make me. :lol: She held out to the last minute, literally. She had stopped eating so I knew it was almost time. She built a nest (finally) jumped in and pulled fur and had 7 of them. All within two hours. Like Micheal said, "give her a day or two" before getting to worried. ;)
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 230.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Shan_non » Tue May 01, 2018 6:53 am

Homer, was this a doe that had previously nested ahead of time? She is usually ahead of the game. Still no nest today.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 9,885.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Homer » Tue May 01, 2018 8:01 am

Shan_non wrote:Homer, was this a doe that had previously nested ahead of time? She is usually ahead of the game. Still no nest today.

No. She had no nesting instincts at all. I was about to put her in with "one of the boys" when she had that litter. :shock: In 50 years of bunnies I've never had one kindle like that before. She was even eating right up to the day she had them. Usually I know a couple days ahead because they stop getting in the cafeteria line. :lol: She only stopped 24 hours before giving birth.
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:21 pm

On day 31, I find it much easier to see baby kicks. I have never been able to palpate. The kicks like little punches (easily confused with a rolling motion made from the intestines, that all rabbits have. But once you see the jerky kicks you will know its them) and you sometimes have to sit there and watch for a while before you can really see them. Hope this helps!