Palpating, Day 31

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shan_non

Reaction score
My Silver Fox doe is on day 31. By now she usually has a nest made and/or has kindled. She hasn't started nesting. She has been eating less for a week or so. At this point I am second guessing my palpating from day 10/11 when I was sure I felt grape sized babes. Now when I palpate I am having trouble determining if I am actually feeling babes or just her tensing and organs. Any tips? I always get very impatient and anxious after day 30!

The last doe that had a litter here was crazy. Gave her all the goods to make a nest but, nope, can't make me. :lol: She held out to the last minute, literally. She had stopped eating so I knew it was almost time. She built a nest (finally) jumped in and pulled fur and had 7 of them. All within two hours. Like Micheal said, "give her a day or two" before getting to worried. ;)

Homer, was this a doe that had previously nested ahead of time? She is usually ahead of the game. Still no nest today.

Shan_non":14wl9vnk said:
Homer, was this a doe that had previously nested ahead of time? She is usually ahead of the game. Still no nest today.
No. She had no nesting instincts at all. I was about to put her in with "one of the boys" when she had that litter. :shock: In 50 years of bunnies I've never had one kindle like that before. She was even eating right up to the day she had them. Usually I know a couple days ahead because they stop getting in the cafeteria line. :lol: She only stopped 24 hours before giving birth.

On day 31, I find it much easier to see baby kicks. I have never been able to palpate. The kicks like little punches (easily confused with a rolling motion made from the intestines, that all rabbits have. But once you see the jerky kicks you will know its them) and you sometimes have to sit there and watch for a while before you can really see them. Hope this helps!

Back