Jersey Woolies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandomElf

Reaction score
Does anyone else have Jersey Woolies? I have had mine for about a year now and am already in love with the breed. One problem that I have is that one of my does over eats but the rest only eat when they are hungry and are fine being free fed. This one doe is really fat because she doesn't watch her food intake. If you have this problem let me know. I absolutely love my woolies and would love to start using their wool. If you guys have an opinion on mixing it with other fibers or something I would love to hear them. If you want to see pics of my bunnies let me know. I recently got a new broken blue with the longest coat I have ever seen. O my gosh it is probably 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. I haven't named her if you guys have suggestions.

Of course we want to see pics!!!
They are a lovely breed. I don't have any right now, but I sure have looked longingly a few times. :)
Overeating and fat buildup are a pretty common issues with does in general.
Keeping them breeding helps.

One trick that sometimes helps with rabbits that are prone to overeating is to feed only grass hay in the morning and a small ration of pellets (or whatever you normally feed) later on in the day. The hay gives them something to nibble and takes the edge off the appetite without contributing a lot of calories.

I have jersey woolies. I restrict pellets and still as may rabbits get older they tend to get a bit fatter. I give about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of pellets and give them hay at all times and also they get fresh grass and whatever weeds I can forage, like dandelions, nastertiums, and plantain.
If you breed you want to make sure your doe doesn't get too fat because the fat grows around their uterus and makes them have smaller litters, and harder for them to get pregnant.

IMG_8926 (1).jpg
this is sea lion (i did not get to name him) :) <br /><br /> __________ Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> He isn't the one with the really long wool

Aww, he looks so itty bitty (I raise Rex)! :oops:

That fiber sure looks like it would be good for spinning... how do you typically harvest fiber from Jersey Woolies? Are they a molting breed, or do you shear?

RandomElf":2nv7ymp6 said:
If you guys have an opinion on mixing it with other fibers or something I would love to hear them.
I've spun Angora pure, from the cloud (no carding/prep), and it was a pleasure to work with. Finer than the merino I usually use, but totally worth a little extra effort. That yarn is in my collection to just take out and admire sometimes... so soft! :in_love:

I don't really know how to harvest it correctly. I tried but it all led to matted fibers and no usable wool. I tried to brush out the wool after I took it but it didn't work. To be honest I am a complete newbie. My jersies let me pluck so that is how I harvest. This is a pic of him as a baby. I will post a more recent pic in a while.

Latest posts

Back