both our first-time does kindle in the nest box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Last year our rabbit breeding got off to a bumpy start with an older doe that didn't take and a youngster that didn't feed her litter. This year has begun much better. Hollis kindled 6 on April 20 and Jay kindled 10 today, 4-30. Was a little worried because it is still cold--snow forecast yesterday but we just got cold rain.
This is the first time I've thought it might have been better to breed them at the same time for fostering purposes. The 10 day old kits are very fat. Don't know how Jay will do with 10 in her nest. (For me the worst part of raising rabbits is a doe that doesn't feed the kits and they die in that first week)
My ideal litter size is 8 so it would have made sense to transfer 2 from the litter of 10 to the small one. But then, how do you keep track of which kits are offspring of which doe ? And I like to have an idea of how many a given doe can feed, which I wouldn't find out if I fostered. Have to think some more about that--the pros and cons.
Anyway, here's proof

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpg
    IMG_3832.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_3848.jpg
    IMG_3848.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,065
:in_love:
Thank you for posting the baby pictures, Rainey!

It's so strange to hear people saying they're just starting their breeding season because ours just ended... summer is just brutal here, and it starts early. :evil:

I wonder how quickly sharpie wears off on little kits with mama cleaning them? Maybe you could mark the foster kits with blue sharpie in the ears, to help tell them apart (you'd have to reapply frequently, if it wears off with the mom's grooming)?

Good luck with your little ones, they look adorable! And I like seeing everyone's popple pics, since we won't have any until late fall again, so thanks again for that! :oops:

We tried the tattoo pen, marking in the ears but they didn't last so gave up.
Right now we have a litter kindled 4 weeks ago, one 3 weeks ago, one 10 days and today's litter. We try to plan breeding so that young does don't kindle in the cold and so that we have peak supply of fresh forage when the kits are in their peak growth/appetite. This year the winter just hung on and things are just beginning to green and grow in the past week.

What a pretty color on your happy popples!

I just fostered my first two and marked them on their heads with a really big red sharpie. After a week their ears were big enough that I could mark the inside of them as the fur came in on the head. I only have to refresh once a week. I'll admit, though, these were not subtle marks. :shock:

Latest posts

Back