12 In her first litter!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shea":3dzkk5kd said:
I should get a better picture of their eye color. They are not brown, but a kinda bluish brown/gray?
See, that sounds like maybe dilute? But I can't remember if my castor babies didn't have slightly lighter eyes when they were babies... they're normal brown by now (~12 weeks).

The color of the fur definitely looks chestnut to me, but I don't really have any experience with chins... it looks like too much color for brassy-ness, though. :?

HAHAHA YAY SATINS! They are my diamonds. Literally bought some instead of a diamond ring for my wedding, no joke.

The brown on your chins is what most people who deal with american chinchillas call "rust" It usually sheds out with the first molt from baby fuzz to jr coat. It's not supposed to be there and I've spent the past couple years trying to figure out what gene causes it. Recently I decided to cross my american chinchilla buck with a doe that carries chocolate and ended up with a chocolate chinchilla kit which I wasn't expecting. Which means I might be onto something with this rust thing finally after forever.

That is what I was thinking. But the "chestnut" color is very distinctive on some of the kits. Almost like they are 2tone. :shock: Of course those are the ones I can't get a picture of. :roll:

But here is a better picture with eye color and then one with a true chestnut and another rusty one.
20180424_170416.jpg20180424_164604.jpg

So I don't know if you plan to get into showing but chestnut in Satins is called Copper.... just an fyi for the future if you ever get there.

If you can see the intermediate ring that's what I'd look at. If all the kits have an ivory intermediate ring I'd say they are all chin and that's one VERY brassy chin.... Coppers have the more orange intermediate ring.

Shea":3txcl09c said:
But here is a better picture with eye color and then one with a true chestnut and another rusty one.
:shock:
That looks so... weird! The chestnut/rust color seems so at odds with the light eyes! :x :lol:

Thank you, guardianoasis, for sharing the info about rusty chins. :)

You're welcome. It's a common but irritating and unwanted problem in a lot of lines of chins. It's why most people only breed chin to chin when doing show rabbits. Right now I have a couple theories but I'm sitting on my thumbs waiting for kits. My buck who threw what I suspect is a chocolate chin (if you wanna see it's under my self chin thread in the genetic forum) bred a doe of a friend who had quite a few rusty chins. The buck is getting old. I doubt he's going to be with us much longer but I'm supposed to get a buck from this rusty litter and I'm going to try to find a really rusty one to test him out and see what the heck is up with hit.

Copper is a Very apt way to describe the color on the chestnut kits. They are gorgeous!
No I was not planning on showing, I got satins more for the meat and the very lovely pelts! I should probably mark the Chinchilla kits that Don't show any rust then? There are 1 or 2 with no rust on them.

Back