Things learned while butchering different types of rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a dog order to put together so was butchering rabbits tonight.

harlequins: two bunnies same age. One with what seemed like tons of fat, the other leaner. Weights were similar. The leaner one had the start of entretis. Lack of fat an issue in this I wonder??? or just a symptom. In two days I'll do up the other two and see if they are fatty as well.

the rest, all does, all around the same age. weights from 3-5 lbs.
fuzzy lop. Wow...what a mess to do that. Don't think I'll do another one. Thin skin, ripped hide, torn belly flaps...just a mess to work with.

mini rexes/Mini rex crosses. Processed just fine.

Lionheads - Processed well but hide tore easily, made the job slower.

Lionhead/lop cross - like the fuzzy lop...just a mess to deal with.

So.... wonder if it was just those three, or if the long hair factor plays a part in the thinner hide? Any thoughts?

entretis results in jelly like poops in rabbits. generally speaking the intestinal tract of a rabbit is long and narrow. rabbits with entretis have sections that are larger with jelly like poop within them. This bunny had a soft stomach and about five inches of highly expanded intestinal track with jelly within. I didn't take pics because it's cold out here and cold hands are colder hands if you take too long doing a job without gloves. :)

The one with enteritis was one of mine and it was getting pellets and hay. I lost two others to the same thing. I have other young ones from different litters getting the same diet and they're fine. Go figure.

american fuzzy lop?

I'd be quite happy to never meet one of those ... but suspect I may get to someday if you didn't like butchering it .. ... hehehe

it was a very fuzzy lop....and the person who supplied it says I shouldn't get anymore of them so I go YEAH!!!!! Besides the fact that I simply said ... I don't EVER need to experience that again unless it a must do situation.

Latest posts

Back