Romaine Lettuce

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyAuntie

Reaction score
Wasn't quiet sure where to put this... sorry if this is in the wrong place.
I was wondering what everyone thinks of the CDC telling everyone to throw out their Romaine lettuce. I only have one rabbit and I give him Romaine in the winter, along with some other things. The article says it lettuce from the midwest, I live in the northeast but I have no idea where the local store gets it's lettuce. I just bought another head but I guess I'll throw it out... better safe than sorry :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... 60f964f92c

grown in Arizona

CDC said consumers should throw away any lettuce if they're unsure what kind it is. They also should not buy or eat romaine lettuce at a grocery store or restaurant unless they can confirm it is not from the Yuma area. No common grower, supplier, distributor or brand has yet been identified, and product labels often do not identify growing regions, officials noted.

__________ Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:46 am __________

I don't know anything -but- it is common practice for prison system farms to import human manure from city waste treatment systems [settlement lagoons] , these e-coli strains are human specific, and often antibiotic resistant - they also import a lot from huge containment farms- some of them owned by the system the first people who got sick were at the correctional institution -- just a theory ...

Wow thank for this. I have a bag in the fridge. I guess I'll go see if it says were it was grown. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:19 am __________ <br /><br /> I threw it away. It was grown in the US from a company located in SouthernCA that has a farm in Yuma. I couldn't determine where exactly this bag was grown but that is too close for comfort. The thing is, this has been an on going issue since Jan and we've eaten this same Romaine lettuce several times since Jan without problems. The case added recently was from Louisiana so that is also close-ish to me. I guess better safe than sick.

It seems there have been 53 confirmed cases but that doesn't mean they are the only people who have gotten sick, just that they are the only ones who have actually been tested and linked to this outbreak.

Oops sorry! Yeah, E. coli. The head I have just has a twist tie... nothing to say where its from. I suppose I could call the store... I only buy it for the rabbit, I don't eat lettuce myself

Bunches that are just tied here simply have a number and no info. You'd have to call the store for their source. It's usually southwestern US vegetables and fruits (strawberries made the top of the list again) that we see as contaminated sources. The midwest generally ships in fruits (except apples) and vegetables, not out. Nearly all local sources are small enough not to meet demand and require greenhouses to grow enough for supplying more than farmer's markets. It's probably why we never see a year without contaminated produce and I wash everything. Sometimes with soap or cleaners approved for produce. A couple years ago it was all bagged lettuce which is a little hard to wash the already mixed small pieces. This is just going on longer than usual so seems to be a continued problem with at least one supplier or processor instead of one time incident in one harvest.

Back