Register

Quick question..

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 2,435.00

Quick question..

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ipoGSD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:38 pm

I know some does if they start nesting early it's a good sign that the breeding didnt take.

What about digging? Clover my HL has always liked to dig but ever since she was bred, literally like 2 or 3 days later, that's all shes done. Digging is usually a good sign of pregnancy but Is digging early on a sign of a false pregnancy? Seems like such a newbie question that I shouldn't need to ask but I haven't noticed any of my does digging this much almost immediately after being bred. Today Mark's day 15 btw

Ty :)

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,377.00

Re: Quick question..

Post Number:#2  Unread postby AmberRae » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 pm

It would vary from doe to doe. One doe might dig like that and it would be a sign she is pregnant. The next doe it might not mean anything. The only way I feel 100% a doe is pregnant is to palpatate them.

The following user would like to thank AmberRae for this post
ipoGSD

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 262.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 pm

I don't know if my does didn't get the memo, but they all want to build hay nests at around day 15. They get all frantic, haystaching and digging. I give them a box, and they immediately make beautiful hay tunnels that then just sit there pretty much untouched until they add fur and popples a week and a half later.

Maybe give her a box and see if it makes her happy? Can't hurt, right? If she just poops in it or chews on it you can always take it out again.

Of course, I'm not helping you decide if she's pregnant or not if that was your main question, sorry! :oops:

The following user would like to thank WVForestGirl for this post
ipoGSD, michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
Female
BunnyBucks: 2,435.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ipoGSD » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:01 pm

I actually did give her a next box. Its literally just a cardboard one. Shes a house bunny so it's not like she needs something substantial for warmth. So if she destroys it, hey she had fun and it was free lol I did feel her belly and I'm not too sure what I felt. I usually am good at knowing but I'm not certain on this one. Time will tell I guess :)

I honestly have never been so excited about kits.. was trying to get my 2 HL does bred for some time. This particular doe only bred once. My other HL doe was bred 2x. Just being a nervous nelly hoping it took :)

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,840.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Zass » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 pm

I have never seen a "fool proof" way to tell if a doe is pregnant or not from behavior alone. A few individual rabbits might be reliable, but the species in general isn't. :lol:

I've had a doe wait until day 31, build a nest, annnndd... Nothing. (Doe could have eaten a miscarried embryo? No blood anywhere though..)

I've had does start nest building at day 16 and have a full litter properly on time.

:shrug:

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
ipoGSD, michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 262.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:26 am

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

The following user would like to thank WVForestGirl for this post
ipoGSD