Register

Looking for feed opinion

Choose the right feeds to suit your needs and budget.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,081.00

Re: Looking for feed opinion

Post Number:#16  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:56 am

a7736100 wrote:Which pellets are people using these days? I want to find the ingredients list for Southern States but can only find the Guaranteed Analysis.

If the brand does not have a 'dedicated formula" the ingredient list is worthless- the best pellet I have ever used, is also the one that killed most of my rabbits-- the main ingredients was wheat, and alfalfa- it had no corn-- the mill added too much vit. D, -they killed thousands of rabbits in Idaho, and Utah, -... but-- my rabbits performed better on that- than they did on Blue seal, and Blue seal is hard to beat in my estimation ... Blue Seal has a dedicated formula..

http://fox13now.com/2016/10/25/warning- ... 00-deaths/
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 232.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks for this, it has been really helpful. I've been a little worried about my pellets but haven't been able to find a good alternative in my area.

My concern was that the ingredients list starts with several 'products' instead of defined ingredients. I was seeing this as a red flag for inferior product (the food is quite inexpensive) but recognize that it can also be a way of large chains to use local mills that may have different formulations.

The thing is, it's always fresh, always available and my bunnies do jump at it like it's yummy. I'm no rabbit but the stuff smells great, like a freshly mown field. My bunnies are healthy, bright eyed, and happy, and seem to be keeping condition. So, I'm going to stick with it.

The following user would like to thank WVForestGirl for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 59,943.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:44 pm

a7736100 wrote:Which pellets are people using these days? I want to find the ingredients list for Southern States but can only find the Guaranteed Analysis.

Sometimes the tag on the bag will only have the Guaranteed Analysis, but if you contact the company's customer service they should be able to provide an ingredients list.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 35,640.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby akane » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 am

Vague names and mysterious byproducts instead of defined named ingredients is often a way for them to use whatever is cheapest at a given time. The consistency and quality of the formula depends a whole lot more on the company and their relationship with the mill you get it from because they can put whatever restrictions or not on ingredients that they feel like. Some might simply choose the lesser cost of a couple quality local ingredients and make only small changes season to season or year to year that is not really noticeable in your rabbits. Others might just go with cheapest even when it means inferior to downright risky for their health and make changes that end up being a huge difference to the rabbit digestive tract. It's most often done by the latter type of company or mill and hard to sort out the ones that are good so usually avoided.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,407.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Deer Heart » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 pm

I used feed from a local mill for many many years but then the quality suddenly started dipping significantly over the last couple years (it used to be so green and you could just smell the fresh alfalfa, I loved just inhaling the bags right after opening them - but then they gradually turned browner and now they just smell like any other pellet) and I finally found out why - they stopped actually making it locally (they proudly proclaimed one day on my facebook feed that they actually only made their horse feed locally anymore - to reduce the risk of horse feed being "contaminated by other feeds") I tried contacting them to find out where the frick they get their rabbit feed from then as the label specifically claims their mill as where it is made. They wouldn't reply. SO. I tried the $3 cheaper option of Manna Pro, which was a heck of a lot easier to find anyway. All feed stores here carry it (except for the aforementioned local feed mill who only sells their brand) and honestly would never go back. My buns are coming out far less fatter and because of it are going into regular heat cycles on their own (no more repeated failed dates) and popping out babies much easier. A lot of things I thought were normal before, weren't, and unfortunately breeding to that feed hadn't worked out well. A herd that had been on that feed and the offspring of those on that feed, and their offspring's offsprings... they had been on that feed all of their lives - only to thrive on manna pro in the end. So I'd say carefully experiment until you find one that gives you the results you want with easy availability and a price tag that is affordable. Also good hay, really good hay. I still get my hay from that feed mill because they mostly cater to horses and you'd better not sell bad hay to a horse person in this town. My buns eat mostly hay and a small amount of pellets even when I keep my J feeders full. I top dress the pellets of breeding does with a small amount of wheat germ oil.

I could go slightly cheaper on rabbit feed as we have Country Road (would save about $3 more a bag) for even less at rural king and most of the locals tell me that's what they use without any breeding or health issues, but we'll see.

Previous