What color kits might I get

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny love

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm thinking about breeding my French lops when my doe is old enough, and I was wondering what colors I might get from my pair. My buck is a self blue and his parents were both chestnuts. My doe is a chestnut. I'm not sure of her parents colors, but she had several blue siblings. Will I only get blues and chestnuts or could I get other colors from them?

You're guaranteed a chance of getting chestnuts. Since she had blue siblings it is likely (but not 100%) that she carries blue (which is self & dilute mutations), so you might even get opal (just dilute), black (just self) and/or blue (self and dilute) too.

Odds should go chestnut, then opal or black since it takes 1 gene to turn a chestnut to an opal or a chestnut to a black, and then blues because it takes both those 2 genes having been inherited to make a self blue. That's just what genes are visible in those colors though. Other colors can never be fully ruled out because both rabbits could have recessives they aren't expressing. You never know with mystery crosses or in breeds that have a lot of recognized colors if you will only get only one color, multiple colors, or the most common color plus a single odd unlikely one thrown in. I had some mini rex with really long pedigrees of 20 generations or more that were only black, blue, and chocolate and ended up with a harlequin in one litter.

Latest posts

Back