How much candy mix?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Based on what I've learned from lurking all you experts, I've been feeding my herd 16% pellets and supplementing breeding does and growouts with a candy mix of calf manna-BOSS-rolled oats.

Everyone really loves the candy and I was hoping you could recommend how much I should be giving them. Thanks!

I " free feed" nursing does, and grow outs-- - I have mixed pellets, oats, boss, and calf manna together before-- - I would give them all they want... but,- I did not give them very much of the calf manna compared to the other ingredients,,

I agree with micheals4gardens, all they want. I am also careful with the calf mana. I find that too much calf mana will cause diarrhea. I do have some does that can tolerate more than others. I give them as much as they can eat with no loose stool. It keeps my does nice and chunky with many litters a year. They also think I am their best friend with the twice a day treats. I love how excited they get to see me, especially when they growl at my husband.

Just watch for cecotrope overproduction or soft stools in the kits, which can indicate that they are eating too much of the good stuff. Scale back the boss and calf manna if necessary. Oats can be fed in unlimited quantities, and are more likely to correct a gi issue than to cause one.

I dislike calf manna. I've seen lots of negatives reported of using it in horses, goats, and small animals. Now BOSS and/or oats can make up a lot of the ration if you feed hay. Many are actually replacing grains completely in the diet of other livestock with BOSS and I was rotating filling the feeders with pellets and filling them with straight oats for awhile. They just don't have the fiber of hay and oats can be around double the fat % of pellets so if you don't feed hay you have to watch the balance a bit more. Otherwise some people who feed hay and at least occasionally supplement fresh food or sprouted grains replace all the pellets with boss and grain mix.

If I need more than grains or boss as a supplement I actually gave a couple does powdered milk replacer formula. Usually I keep foal or goat kid formula around for young herbivores I need to hand feed.

Akane,
I am curious, what negative things have been published about calf mana? I breed very often and never have had an underweight doe. I contribute this mostly to the calf mana. I never stopped to consider it could be bad for them.

Also, as far as the kits go I don't give them any of this. Once they become around 12 weeks old they can have a bit if I am feeling like giving them a treat. The same with my males. It is only for my breeding and nursing does.

I also free feed kits and nursing does. I don't use calf manna though.

Nursing does get BOSS and oats a few times a week, along with their hay, pellets and greens. When the kits start nibbling, they get the same, along with alfalfa cubes. The cubes are given thanks to Grumpy, who recommended them as a help with "weaning enteritis".

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful, especially since I just bought a huge bag of oats! If bunnies could shop, you'd all be getting a bottle of wine from mine, they're so happy about all the extra goodies. :lol:

AmberRae":1ka50mfy said:
I love how excited they get to see me, especially when they growl at my husband.
That's funny, it's backwards here. They like me because I give treats, but I'm also the one crashing around doing chores all the time. My husband mostly comes by to hand out treats and snuggles so they LOVE him :)
(Not that he doesn't do chores, just different ones ;) )

I've started mixing the pellets, rolled grain (barley at the moment), BOSS & calf manna. The additives used to be given on top of their pellets but then they would dig for the special bits and waste a lot of feed. Now it's all mixed together which is easier to feed and for some reason they don't dig in it when it's all mixed together.

As for percentages it's not exact, but around here there's two (or two and a half) scoops of pellets to one of rolled grain. Then about a half scoop of BOSS to two of those and a half scoop of calf manna to two of those. Two scoops pellets, one of grain, two scoops pellets, one of grain, half scoop of BOSS, repeat the above then add the half scoop of calf manna and mix all together. The resulting feed is primarily the green of pellets, with a lot of grain mixed in with occasional seeds and calf manna. Nursing does get more of the BOSS and calf manna added to their rations. About every third or fourth day it's primarily fresh forage, which cuts down on feed costs as well as gives them more fiber.

Back