Found a new feed store..pellet question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Yay Im so happy!!! (Its the little things in life lol)

We needed hay but the hay at Agway right now is horrible! Super stiff, coarse and full of sticks, seriously almost as coarse as straw. So we decided to try the feed store in the next town over.

Well for a dollar more a bale 10 and change.. we can get 2nd cut Timothy! It's one of the best quality bales of hays we have found!!! (The very best was when we drove an hour away for tim/orchard mixed bales)

And get this.. they deliver for 5 bucks!!! In my home state our feed store delivered but I never thought a place in CT would!!

Ok so on to my question.

The feed store doesnt carry nutrena country feed, they can order it but wont be kept in stock. I don't really like the ingredients either but it's all agway carried for 50 lbs. Tractor supply is too far to go to all the time. The country feeds ingredients seem sketchy, processed grain by-products, forage products, roughage products... that's the first 3 ingredients and really it doesnt tell me crap. Could be anything. So I think it's time for a switch.

They carry blue seal 16. But I figure they can order feeds so im open for suggestions. I used to feed manna pro but like I said tractor supply is too far. But manna pro has what seems to me good ingredients. I also was wondering about Kalmbach silver. Seems like good ingredients too.

So out of blue seal, manna pro and Kalmbach. Which one would you suggest? Price/opinions will play a factor in which one I switch to. But considering I can have hay and feed delivered for 5 bucks.. it's cheaper / easier than going to tractor supply!!

So yay for the new feed store!!!

Shea":203xwo70 said:
Have you ever looked on craigslist for hay? You can normally get it much cheaper and fresher straight from the farmer.

Yes I'm always looking for good quality hat on CL. That's how I found that 2nd cut tim/orchard grass mix. But it cost me 60 in gas to get there and back. There are a couple local listings but it's not the quality my rabbits like or has alfalfa in it.

But ty for trying to help :)

But I will say, this 2nd cut Tim hay we just got is amazing quality. Seems veryyyyy fresh, it's super good smelling and very green and soft. My bunnies LOVE it!

I loved Blue seal , but they were a little pricey - [compared with other brands available ]-- for my home meat production needs I thought it was worth it.. I also fed a lot of "other stuff" to my rabbits... - so my pellet consumption was fairly low -- if the store is not a "big volume" store-- be sure to check the manufacture dates.. before you load..

I just made the switch to Blue Seal pellets. I will say that I've had the best fur quality with my rabbits since switching that I've ever seen. However, I did not realize when I switched that it had 3% more fiber in it than my old feed. This is working beautifully for my lone meat rabbit and my Jersey Woolies, but my other rabbits suffered anywhere from mild weight loss to one rabbit that had weight loss so bad we werent sure what would happen to him. I am in no way saying the feed was solely at fault - I absolutely love Blue Seal, it's just not the right fit for some of my rabbits who are sensitive to high fiber content. I read somewhere that dwarf rabbits may not do as well on a high fiber diet, and that's what I have so maybe that's it? Anyway, I would recommend that you check your current feed to be sure the fiber content is not too different. If it is, I would be a little cautious about switching.

Back