Proper pedigree with c genes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasuji

Reaction score
What is the correct way to write the lower "c" genetics for a pedigree?
I have one that is written cchlcchl and another is cchlc which I think is kinda hard to read at a glance.
Is it still correct to just write them chlchl and chlc without the extra "c"?

Technically, it would be c [sup]chd[/sup], c[sup]chl[/sup], c[sup]h[/sup], and c

__________ Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:26 am __________

I see the superscripts don't work....

__________ Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 am __________

Maybe this will work. As you can see, it's often hard to write it correctly on the internet, so people just get used to writing cchl and cchd. I'm sure there are many people who learned it this way and don't even realize it's not technically correct. The small c signifies it's a recessive, and the superscript signifies it's chinchilla light, chinchilla dark, or himalayana. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 am __________ <br /><br /> bleh caught my cursor in the image and didn't realize it.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-03-28 10-28-40.png
    Screenshot from 2018-03-28 10-28-40.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 708
You have to write the first c.The first c shows that its an allele of the c gene, the second says which one: chd=chinchilla dark, chl=chinchilla light, h=himalayan. So the only proper ways to write them are as C, cchd, cchl, ch and c.

As said it's the fact it's supposed to have superscript. Since it's hard or impossible to do online and people already know what gene set we are talking about I usually leave out the extra "c"s. Depending on the program you print pedigrees from or your handwriting it may not be possible to fill in a pedigree clearly with it either.

Oh my gosh I just realized I got cchd and cchl in the wrong order in that image and none of you called me on it. I can't decide if I should be mortified or just laugh. I guess I'll laugh. If I couldn't laugh at all my mistakes, I'd be in real trouble.

:chase1: :chase2: :cheer1:

__________ Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:19 pm __________

I fixed it...

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-03-30 16-17-59.png
    Screenshot from 2018-03-30 16-17-59.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 670
Alforddm - that's just beautiful!!! I guess the reason people don't write them correctly on the internet is that none of us are as computer-proficient as you. I wouldn't even know where to start. LOL

Sometimes an easy 'fix' is to search for the term online and then do a 'copy' of it (Ctrl + C). Then 'paste' it to where you want it with a (Ctrl + V). That works in most Windoze programs, not sure if it would work on Macs.

Latest posts

Back