Is he orange or red?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberRae

Reaction score
20180324_114605(0)_resized.jpg20180324_115011_resized.jpgIs this little guy red or orange and how can you tell the difference? Are these colors genetically different or is just red a more intense orange? I am assuming there us a genetic difference but I am very ignorant when it comes to genes.
Also,
Dad is BEW
Mom is harlequin sable point.
They constantly give me these orange/red kits with blue eyes. The pet buyers go crazy for them.

I am not familiar with any specific rex terminology, but genetically would call this a orange fawn rabbit.

Red is usually shown in rabbits with presence of wideband genes and high rufus factor, both of which fawns, oranges and creams USUALLY lack. That said, I have seen fawns with high rufus that are darker red of true reds.

Orange/red/fawn/cream group has crossover names between breeds and genetics versus phenotype (appearance based) is a different discussion. Different terms are used as the dilute of each other or as the basic nonextension chestnut and sometimes "red" is only used for rabbits with a solid belly but not always. Technically I don't think there is a recognized "orange" rex. I'm not sure a dilute of "red" is recognized in either rex breed at all and has no specific name but "red" markings on tricolor mini rex are considered fawn. To standard a red rex must have a solid belly but genetically red with a white belly and red with a solid belly are the same thing except one has the rarely mentioned wideband gene and one doesn't. Often in breeds that don't usually have a dilute like new zealand everything is referred to as red with white belly reds just not being to show standard. Others will call all white belly reds orange instead. If you want a name to call it take your pick because you are outside of a breed standard and it varies by breed. Personally I don't get into it with my crosses or nonstandard colors and if it's agouti, full color, nonextension it's red (A*B*C*D*ee) to me. :lol: I'm not sure any US breed standard uses cream specifically either. There are creme d'argents but they are one unique light color that is not dilute and most said do have the wideband gene despite a white belly. :shrug: If you want a genotype you'd need someone more familiar with true red in rex because with rufus factors making deep reds or very light orangish reds when not bred carefully for depth of color I'm not certain what is definitely dilute instead.

I'd call it red, non extension agouti is usually called red in rex/mini rex regardless of wideband/rufus. usually red is darker & redder than orange (example: new zealand red)

Thanks for all your help. It seems that the color would be considered red but just not a good quality one for rex standards. They are just selling as pets and the buyers really love this color :)

Latest posts

Back