Fur Pulling Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDG

Reaction score
Hello All! and Happy Easter :bunnyhop:

I was curious as to when I should expect my doe that is almost ready to kindle, to start actually pulling fur. From the reading I've done, this is something that occurs just before the actual birth of the kits. Talking with people that have experience raising kits, I've heard all kinds of different time frames, to no hair pulling at all.

My doe is set to have kits on the 1st, putting her at day 28 of gestation. As of right now, no hair pulling and a very small foundation of a nest in her nestbox (given to her two days ago). Will she pick up production in the days to come?

Thanks in advance for the help!

my does (all 6 of them,) almost never start pulling fur until they are actively in labour. if i see a doe pull, i know that kits are likely to be in that box within the hour. every now and then one of them will pull the day before, but for me at least, a box full of fluff always = kits!

My observation is that my experienced does may not pull any fur until just before kindling, especially during warmer season. New does start nesting earlier (although may not build in the box at first). And when it is colder, does seem to pull more and earlier. Don't know if this would hold true for anyone else--just what I've noticed in my limited experience.

Thanks for the replies!

This was very helpful information. The doe that I have bred is expierenced (her previous litters were with her past owner) so I shall keep a watchful eye :)

It really depends on what the doe likes to do. I have a doe that likes to pull fur and be 100% prepared a week early. Most of my others wait until last minute to do anything at all... like literally until they are in labor :lol:

Back