You said I could talk about anything.... beauty stuff....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guardianoasis

Reaction score
Sooooo this year part of my new years resolution was to spend more me pamper time. I made myself go to a salon and get my nails done and eyebrows waxed. I don't regret it. I like the extra pampering but my OCD lead me to refile my nails to as close to what I wanted and now I'm considering just buying the stuff and doing it myself.

To be completely honest I never really had any girly friends, you know the ones you go over to their house and they teach you about beauty and make up and how to do things to your hair. As a result growing up and even now I rarely did anything with my belt length hair (which is an utter disaster btw) and I very rarely ever do anything with makeup. And honestly... it's really starting to depress me, badly. Give me any subject about farming or self sustainable lifestyles and I will dig deeper than I ever have. This subject and I just give up, every time.

Other than wanting to do this for me and somewhat boost my confidence, another reason I'm wanting to add this to my life is because I'm making a career change into real estate as an agent. While those close to me may not care about my messy hair and dirt stained skin, the chances of me winning over a client who wants to spend half a mil on a house in my area looking like this are pretty slim. I want this, I want it bad. It's been my dream job for the past decade.

So that's my sad story. I need help. I've spent some time on pintrest and the internet trying to research. I've still got some study time before I can get my license to sell houses so it's not to bad. I thought I'd start with simple stuff. Hair treatments, leave in conditioners or whatever. I want to try to stay as natural as possible. Things like coconut oil and stuff. It's just so much information to process lmao which is funny when you consider that I can sit here and calculate genetic probability of colors of kits without getting a headache.

Ok so, I don't know much, aside from how to unprofessionally dye my own hair absurd colors, oh, and that those cheap stridex pads are good for both cleaning dogs ears AND clearing up my complexion. not in that order
I'll just be quietly listening in on this one.
:popcorn:

I would find a salon that focuses on natural products and go in and have a chat with a stylist. Get some ideas.

Good luck with the real estate stuff!

Marinea":ohc7lgoe said:
I would find a salon that focuses on natural products and go in and have a chat with a stylist. Get some ideas.

Good luck with the real estate stuff!

Thank you!

My first goal was my hair and my face. I dyed my hair bright red once with the manic panic stuff but I used super cheap bleach and it fried my hair bad. So I cut some off and have been trying to trim out the new splits as they come. But my ends are still super bad. Someone suggested mixing oils. Pinterest has some good ideas I'm just curious if anyone has tried anything.

I've never been much good at all that girly-girl stuff, but if you need a professional look for your job, I suggest you stick to basics.

Have that belt-length hair trimmed by a good hair stylist. Not short unless you are ready for a major change, just enough to even it up. It's amazing how much difference that can make.

A simple, sleek, up-swept style perhaps that is a tad sophisticated without being fussy. I just did a google image search for professional looking hairstyles for long hair and there are some really nice ones there.

Do get some advice about what is current in make-up, but I really think less is more when it comes to cosmetics. You want to enhance your natural appearance, not disguise it.

When it comes to clothing, maybe start off with a few classic mix and match separates, a couple of pieces of quality, simple jewellery, and some comfortable, practical shoes. When you find shoes you really like and that you're sure are comfortable, go back and buy another pair or two the same style, but not necessarily the same colour. My smart successful younger sister told me that tip--you can rotate them, they last longer that way and you don't have to break in a new pair nearly so often.

Just listen to me, shovelling out the advice! :p I just want to convince you that it doesn't have to be complicated or fussy to achieve a professional image. To me, simplicity says confidence and competence.

Good luck. You'll soon get a feel for what you like and what suits you. You'll be able to have lots of fun with accessories for your new look.

Hello,
I am a real estate agent and do not wear make up, dye my hair, paint my nails or ever visit a salon. I wear jeans and a tee shirt. When I first started out my broker suggested I dress more dressy. I tried it and I didnt feel comfortable or genuine. It did not work for me. Clients are going to be into your personality and your ability to make them feel at ease in a very stressful process. I have been very successful and have clients that consider me a friend after their transaction and would always use me again in the future. The key is to feel confident. If that means some make up makes you feel that way then go for it. If not you won't need it to be a successful real estate agent.

AmberRae":ahi7ojac said:
Hello,
I am a real estate agent and do not wear make up, dye my hair, paint my nails or ever visit a salon. I wear jeans and a tee shirt. When I first started out my broker suggested I dress more dressy. I tried it and I didnt feel comfortable or genuine. It did not work for me. Clients are going to be into your personality and your ability to make them feel at ease in a very stressful process. I have been very successful and have clients that consider me a friend after their transaction and would always use me again in the future. The key is to feel confident. If that means some make up makes you feel that way then go for it. If not you won't need it to be a successful real estate agent.

Totally agree. Except I don't feel confident and I sure don't feel I could be taken seriously in my market in a pair of jeans and shirt. Maybe when I can focus on investments and land/farms like I want but I'm not there yet. It's really more personal than career related. I'm just tired of looking worn down.

Start small You need to make changes you will feel comfortable with and since you're not used to seeing yourself in make up or applying it, do the easy things first: Lipstick and mascara maybe a tiny bit of blush. Get some cheap lipsticks (or even lip gloss) that don't break the bank and experiment with colors. Once you find some colors you like and that compliment you, you can splurge on the more expensive stuff (although more expensive isn't always better). Finding a lipstick (or range of lipsticks) will also help when you start to add eye shadows and such as you can compliment the colors. Foundations...yuck...I hate the way they feel.

If your really worried about finding things that compliment you, you may consider something like a merle normal or even avon consultants. Just remember, what you find attractive, maynot be what they find attractive and they are going to try to sell you as much as they can.

Not worried about the make up. I guess I wasn't to clear with the original post. Trying to find natural things like leave in conditioner and home made face washes. That was my start small step. My cousin. Is a make up pro. I kinda just give her the money and she goes from there

I have sold many of half million dollar homes with jeans on and taken very seriously :)
You have to have a comand presence to sell homes, do that in what ever outfit you feel best in.

AmberRae":2t5phmrf said:
I have sold many of half million dollar homes with jeans on and taken very seriously :)
You have to have a comand presence to sell homes, do that in what ever outfit you feel best in.

Not saying it can't be done. Just saying I'm not going to feel comfortable doing that.

I get how you feel. I grew up never wearing makeup or doing my hair in any way special or anything, even as a teen. I still don't on a regular basis, but I like to do myself up a bit now when I go out. I am no expert beautician, but I have come a long way thanks to Facebook groups, lol.

I work in a Financial Office... so "Image" is VERY important!!!
Here is my advice...
Keep it simple

Hair:
Do not wash your hair daily.
brush out your hair before you wash it to move your natural oils from your scalp to the ends of your hair.

Coconut oil ... rub it into the ends of your dry hair... wrap in a plastic bag and gently blow dry the bag... you want it warm, but not the bag melted to your hair....
Do this once a week... (this is not a before work treatment as it will leave your hair a bit oily!)
Condition after shampooing.

I find twisting my hair into a little bun and a clip to hold it makes it look professional and neat. (I like to add earrings)

Hands:
Get a couple of nail brushes for the, laundry sink, kitchen sink, bath sink and shower... use them
trimmed and clean is fine...
Sometimes maintaining polish is more of a burden. Chips looks messy and unprofessional.

Cloths:
Get yourself some nice blazers. (black, brown and one or two outrageous colours that you like- eg. red and purple)
I do a lot of 2nd hand shopping and find some great blazers at second hand stores....

Pants can be jeans, but even colour and clean and neat (even pressed would look good) the jeans need to "FIT" (if you don't know what this means, go and have a sales associate at a JEANS store help you) "FIT" is so very important in making jeans look professional.

Paired with a button down blouse and a pair of clean evenly coloured jeans or dress pants and a good leather belt... you can't go wrong!!

Shoes:
Get a brown, black and strappy sandal style healed shoe. These are your work shoes... they are only for work.... they stay in your car or at your office ... only used for work...
As a real estate person, you will want a pair of practical shoes or boots in your car as well....(gives the impression you are prepared for anything)

Make-up:
Keep it simple!!
Get a pale pink or light beige eye shadow, brown pencil, mascara and lip gloss...
Mascara - I like a waterproof (this would mean you need to get a waterproof make up remover) but it also means less smudging
Pencil - use the pencil on the very edge of your lashes.. thin and using the tip of your finger smudge it slightly.... the pencil is to help your lashes look fuller, not make a line on your eyelid
Eye shadow - light eye shadow, just on the lid - I don't consider this necessary.... but some days you might want it
Lip Gloss - I use a chap stick :D (if you feel you need colour, get a lip pencil and shade your lips with colour and use your chap stick for gloss)

Find our "style" and own it! if you want colour and find you love outrageous coloured blazers, do it... if you like velvet dress pants in every colour of the rainbow paired with a black blazer, do it... just be consistent and HAPPY!!

Just a photo example attached....
Image.png

Shea":3jnebamg said:
For more natural or rather DIY beauty stuff I rather like https://crunchybetty.com/ and others like that.
I like to make a facewash/scrub out of milk and honey with a little sugar mixed in. Make a paste, rub onto face gently, let sit a few then rinse. :D

I'll definitely have to look into it more once we finish this move. There is only so much that I can look up and read about on my phone before my eyes hurt. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:32 pm __________ <br /><br />
RebelScumHan":3jnebamg said:
I get how you feel. I grew up never wearing makeup or doing my hair in any way special or anything, even as a teen. I still don't on a regular basis, but I like to do myself up a bit now when I go out. I am no expert beautician, but I have come a long way thanks to Facebook groups, lol.

I've been watching a few YouTube channels and Pinterest of course is always nice for a little inspiration. I don't really do much on a daily basis right now but I'm trying. They say it takes 21 days to make something a habit. Here's hoping.

Latest posts

Back