Brittania Petite housing size?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosalaun

Reaction score
As the title, what would be the recommended cage size for this breed? I've just bought a future breeding pair of show-bred rabbits, but am totally new to the breed and they're currently in my 4ft hutches.

I'm hoping to build a new stack next week for housing single bucks/does, with them being moved to the 4ft for kindling. I'm possibly looking at a 24x24" floor space, but what would be the ideal height for them?

I'm also vaguely considering trying them in wire cages (which aren't typically used over here) - does anybody have experience with these guys on wire flooring? Any problems with sore hocks? I do have small gauge mesh - about 25mm square - which I think should be small enough to stop them getting their legs through.

And of course some photos of the rabbits for good luck. Excuse my poor posing, they've only recently arrived and were too busy being nosy to sit still:
erdizd.jpg

110vxom.jpg

Hello. I keep singles in cages size 24x16", 24x18" or 24"x24". Does with litters I have in 24x24" or 24x32". The heights are either 16" or 18" on each of them, mostly because those are pretty standard. They don't have much problems with sore hocks (they are very light weight, so there isn't very much pressure on each foot) but I think your wire mesh isn't tight enough to keep their legs in. 1/2" x 1" or 1/2" x 1/2" work better for me. Thicker wire is also better. The main problem with keeping this breed on wire floors if that sometimes they kindle outside of the nestbox; I know some breeders that move their does to a solid floor cage when they are about to give birth. I personally cover their wire floor with hay during that time.

Thank you Sable! Interesting, so with does, do people tend to move them to the bigger hutches once the litters are out an exploring, or move the does just before they kindle? I've got an awkwardly sized shed, I think it's something like 86-88" wide on the wall I'm filling, so to fit 4 stacks I'd be looking at 21-22" width. I could potentially add an inch or two in depth, but with them not being super friendly I don't want to make them too difficult to grab. I've had a chat with the breeder and hers are 18x23, 18 tall, and used for single growouts as well as the smaller litters. I'll have to check the shed roof height, ideally wanting to leave storage space under this stack (finally realised sitting hutches directly on the floor makes things harder to clean!) so 4 high at 16" might be the better option.

I do have 8 of the 48" hutches to use, which can be opened up to 4x 8ft cages to mix litters in, but I do want to keep the mini rex in that set of blocks as well (not sure they'd be too happy in the <2ft cages? they are nearly double the size of the petites), so may not have many of them free. Either that or I could make 3 stacks at about 30" and just use them for both breeds... but naturally more rabbits is better!

I will stick with my solid floors then - I'd rather use mesh I own than have to buy new :p Admittedly I think our wire may be fairly thin compared to yours over there, just been out and ran my hands over, and it does seem a little sharp with pressure. Plus after a bit of reading, all the animal welfare associations here are massively against wire floors so that might cause issues if anybody took offence.

-- Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:57 pm --

Or actually, another idea to fill the same space. Build 2 stacks at 18x24, 16" tall for the single petites (under the shallower roof), and 2 at 26x24 by 18" tall for litters/does. Would 24x26" be enough to house any non-pregnant rexes also? Then I could free the big hutches up entirely for out-and-about litters.

Because of the pose they are shown in, I give mine 18" of height and encourage them to reach up by placing hay and treats on the top of the wire. I think it helps them build muscles to help them balance on their tip toes :)

Definitely keep on sold floors, the breeder I bought my first pair from told me horror stories of youngsters de-gloving and breaking legs after getting them stuck in wire :(

I have mine in 30x18 plastic bottomed cages and have lined them with ceramic tiles to prevent slipping. I've found my BPetites to be quite tidy and they are very good about using their 4"x8" litter boxes

Thank you Dood.

Having had them in the 18" tall rex cages for a few days, I'm noticing there's a good 4" gap when they stand up. I'm debating building at least just this first stack at 16" - still enough room for them to reach up with a gap, but would mean I can build them 4-high and put a stand under to stop the lowest hutch being straight on the floor. I do like the point of placing treats high up though. The breeder uses the spring water-bottle clips to hold hay high on the doors, I could do that with treats instead. The roof slopes so this first set will end up under the lower side.

I've had a quick chat with the breeder and got to see the size of her 2 week-olds... yep, not risking mesh with those tiny legs! Think I'll build this first block at 20x24x16 and see how I get on with the breed before I worry about filling the rest of the wall. Can then see how showing them goes and have a good bit of time to get to know them before deciding how many I want to have! Got to admit I love their attitude xD Thanks again both of you, it's also good to know who else works with them :)

Latest posts

Back