Using sheared fur like down?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I had this thought while I was posted on Zass's pigeon thread. Would it be possible to use fur sheared from a sub prime hide (aka fryer rex) like down feathers? Maybe the fabric weave would have to be really tight to keep the fur from escaping?

I've never actually worked with down. :oops:
I only have a very small and very old down pillow taken from my great grandmother's house when she passed away. It's quite heavy, and in all a rather comforting thing to have around. It's the perfect size and weight to keep a small baby from rolling off a couch or bed. :lol:

Rabbit down would be different, but it sounds like it could be a lovely product. I'm sure it's usable in some way. We might just have to get innovative. :pinkbunny:

I was thinking more along the lines of using it as insulation like down is used. The material would have to be a tight weave and quilted to keep the fur from shifting to much. I was just curious if anyone has tried it.

When you said insulation I'm thinking mmmmm maybe I should sweep up all the loose rabbit hair and dump it on the attic floor to improve insulation.

alforddm":1cxubuhi said:
I was thinking more along the lines of using it as insulation like down is used. The material would have to be a tight weave and quilted to keep the fur from shifting to much. I was just curious if anyone has tried it.

Oh, I get it now. I think it would work, but it might be more difficult to fluff up, the way you used to have to fluff comforters. But perhaps you don't need to do that if it is properly quilted.

a7736100":2x0n09a9 said:
When you said insulation I'm thinking mmmmm maybe I should sweep up all the loose rabbit hair and dump it on the attic floor to improve insulation.

Why not? It should trap air. :p :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:40 pm __________ <br /><br />
MaggieJ":2x0n09a9 said:
Oh, I get it now. I think it would work, but it might be more difficult to fluff up, the way you used to have to fluff comforters. But perhaps you don't need to do that if it is properly quilted.

I'm thinking you would have to stuff and then try to get things laying even and then try to quilt it. I wonder how itchy the process would be? :lol:

I've actually made a couple attempts at this. I've found that the best place to do something like this would be in something like a quilt where you would at some point bind the quilt following sewing lines to prevent shifting and create little pockets where the fur will rest. An example of this would be like the home made weighted blankets some people make. It's a little time consuming but is pretty warm. We were thinking about doing it if we ever got angoras again.

guardianoasis":2gntk4yk said:
I've actually made a couple attempts at this. I've found that the best place to do something like this would be in something like a quilt where you would at some point bind the quilt following sewing lines to prevent shifting and create little pockets where the fur will rest. An example of this would be like the home made weighted blankets some people make. It's a little time consuming but is pretty warm. We were thinking about doing it if we ever got angoras again.

Yes! This was exactly how I was picturing it. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:10 pm __________ <br /><br /> I'm thinking maybe some heavy duty flannel and then quilted. I wonder if it would work for a "puff" style comforter? Probably wouldn't worked tied and the puffs would have to be sewn.

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to tie it. Everything would shift every which way. That being said you could do larger squares that are like maybe 8 inches by 8 inches and fill those with fluff before closing them off and filling the next. It would be an interesting project for sure

If you did 6-inch squares, filled really full and then stitched a diagonal line of stitching, or even an X so that you have a mini quilt. And then stitch them all together into a proper sized quilt it should work just fine.

The fur WILL felt but if you stuff your quilt squares full enough then even felted it will be poofy. And the cross stitching will help it felt evenly.

Good quality cotton should be fine for keeping the fur inside as it is so fine it shouldn't be able to work its way out.

It sounds a lovely project.

GBov":j86nrrkg said:
If you did 6-inch squares, filled really full and then stitched a diagonal line of stitching, or even an X so that you have a mini quilt. And then stitch them all together into a proper sized quilt it should work just fine.

The fur WILL felt but if you stuff your quilt squares full enough then even felted it will be poofy. And the cross stitching will help it felt evenly.

Good quality cotton should be fine for keeping the fur inside as it is so fine it shouldn't be able to work its way out.

It sounds a lovely project.

Thanks for weighing in on this. I was thinking this might be a good thing to do with my subprime rex furs. Since most of mine are a mix anyway, I get quite a few furs that aren't worth tanning but I hate to just compost them. This way, I might get the best of both worlds, the fur and the compost. :lol:

I started drying my hides to cut the fur off for felting but then discovered veg tanning so the fur stays on and I BUY my fiber for felting. :lol:

Have been wondering for awhile now what a fur on rabbit hide drum would sound like?

GBov":1yaz6q7f said:
I started drying my hides to cut the fur off for felting but then discovered veg tanning so the fur stays on and I BUY my fiber for felting. :lol:

Have been wondering for awhile now what a fur on rabbit hide drum would sound like?

I think the fur would act as a sound dampener. Aren't drum heads usually stretched rawhide?

alforddm":2i57ipmu said:
GBov":2i57ipmu said:

I think the fur would act as a sound dampener. Aren't drum heads usually stretched rawhide?

Usually, they are but I have seen very old goat skin drums with the fur on so was wondering what the difference was when used.

Latest posts

Back