Doe unexpectedly kindling, need advice.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahdawn

Reaction score
I didnt know my doe was expecting as she must have already been when we got her, but this morning there was a dead kit in cage and she had started to eat it. I didnt know if she was done. About 4and a half hours later she had another one and started eating it too. I dont know if she is done. Also she is not having them in her box but on the cage floor. I am watching her. Anyone have any thoughts or reccomendations? Thanks in advance.

Hi Sarahdawn and welcome to RabbitTalk. :welcome:

I split your post off into its own topic because it was off-topic where it was and it is doubtful it would have got many replies there. It's better to start your own thread for a new problem.

There's not much I can suggest for you to do. You don't give us many details, but the doe sounds inexperienced. Many first-timers do not kindle in their box and some lose their litters. I am assuming the kits she is eating were stillborn. It is normal for a doe to eat dead kits in order to clean up and also to avoid attracting predators. It is instinctive behaviour and not something to worry about.

As to why the kits are stillborn, it's difficult to say. You could try giving her a TUMS (calcium antacid) as sometimes a calcium boost is helpful at kindling. Other than that, I can't think of anything you can do to help. Does shes seem distressed?

If she produces any live kits, they should be transferred to the nestbox and given some kind of bedding if she hasn't pulled fur. Teased cotton batting or cotton balls, dryer lint (preferably not heavily scented) or feathers from a pillow all work for this. She may or may not feed them, but they must stay warm for them to be able to digest milk.

Keep us posted and we will try to help.

Hello
To me it sounds like she is/was having some trouble. The kits likely died due to the difficult birth and she began to eat them to clean them up (often they will start giving birth in their box then move out after some time if there is trouble). From my experience, the litters that this is most common with are small litters (where each kit is larger than they would be in a normal or large litter) so it is possible that she is done. If not, there isn't too much you can you do, other than keeping an eye on her to check for stuck kits. Another thing you can try is to give her a small piece of a TUMS, the calcium in it can help. Often does don't want to eat when they are in labor, so if she starts eating again, it's likely that that was all of them.
Good luck

Well she had another one late in afternoon. It was dead. Then she started eating her food so i thought she was done cuz i did read when they start eating that usually means theyre done. Woke up this morning and there was what looked like another one in her box. Im pretty sure this is her first litter and Im pretty sure the kits i seen yesterday werent fully developed so they were prolly stillborn as you said. I keep petting her letting her know its ok. Ive tried to watch her as much as possible but i cant keep a 100% constant vigil over her as i have work to do. She doesnt make any noise or anything when birthing. Dont see any stuck kits. Maybe what i seen this morning was after birth. I will keep posting updates. Thanks for helping me.

If she is not in distress, there is no need to keep a constant watch over her. It will not harm her to eat the dead kits. I know it seems unnatural, but it is perfectly normal and even beneficial since it is a source of protein. In spite of what you may have read, rabbits can digest meat. So don't worry, please.

I just wanted to add that I hope you are not blaming yourself. This happens, especially with first timers. They usually go on to do things right the next time.

Thanks for the help and info. She seems to be doing fine. Hopefully we can try to breed her again and have a better outcome.

I find that a doe can have an unsuccessful litter like this and do just perfect the next time. Something was not right since she had the kits hours apart. Hope you have a better experience next time.

Latest posts

Back