Question about colors..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So we just had another littler of netherlands, kindled this morning ❤. This question is about future colors if i hold back a kit..

The doe, Skittles is a hair under 2 lbs, blk silver marten (only thing i know about colors in her pedigree is from me seeing the parents. mom and dad were a blk otter and a blk silver marten, i think dad was the marten?)

Midas, is a lilac chin, weighing 2.7 lbs. I have a pedigree on him. His parents were lilac and broken lynx. Next gen is, lilac, chocolate, lilac, and lynx. And after that is, lilac, lilac, chocolate, lilac, lilac, lilac silver marten, lynx and cinnamon.

Skittles and Midas first litter together, they had 4 healthy chestnuts as im assuming no colors were compatible.

This is their second litter, 3 healthy kits. Looks like all chestnuts again.

Im not good at sexing at this age, but if there is a doe, Im thinking about keeping one to hold back and breed back to dad. Id like to hold back a buck, as mom has nicer ears and smaller in size but i dont want to have 2 bucks and 1 doe. Our nethies are inside bunnies and THANKFULLY Midas doesnt spray!!!! LOL

So now that ive given as much info as i possibly can..

*My question is.. if I were to hold back a doe and breed back to dad. What would my color odds be? Im assuming, possibly chestnut, black and lilac???

I have no intentions on doing this, but what about chestnut siblings? (Last litter a woman bought a buck and doe and has thought about breeding them) the woman asked me about this and i have no clue. To me, i would assume a high chance of chestnuts. But maybe a random black or lilac??

I dont show, so non showable colors are fine. i breed for pets. As long as im producing healthy, friendly bunnies thats whats important to me. And mom and dad are very sweet and the cleanest bunnies we own. They use their litter boxes faithfully. Dad uses his 100% i rarely see even ONE poop out of his litter box!!!! So im hoping these traits will help their babies in the future.

A friendly, sweet, healthy, small and clean house bunny.. definitely increases their chances at a forever home!! So, thats my goal!!!!

Anyway, ty for reading. I hope someone can help with this.

Are you sure the parents are black silver marten and lilac chin? If I am correct, black silver marten is black otter with cchd, and lilac chin is also cchd, so the kits should have been chinchilla, not chestnut, if they were those colors.
Pictures of parents and kits would confirm.

Hmmm... weird that they genetically arent supposed to produce chestnuts.

I am trying to upload pics of mom and dad in the gallery on here but it keeps telling me the files are too large. Photobucket is crap these days.. I tried the original, a screen shot of original and also saving the pic to photobucket then downloading the image from there (read online it reduces the size) and it still didnt work.

Tho.. that being said, i do know the breeder of midas needed opinions on his color when he was little. And sometimes mom looks silver marten and sometimes looks otter..

imgur is my preferred alternative to photobucket
You can also take a screenshot of the image (with snipping tool if you have windows) which reduces the size too

__________ Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:13 am __________

__________ Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:14 am __________

__________ Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:15 am __________

__________ Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:15 am __________

This was skittles last which was also her first litter
<br /><br /> __________ Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:19 am __________ <br /><br /> Ok ill snap a pic of behind her ears and dads ring colors right now. It'll take a few cuz then i have to upload them to fb then resave them lol

I really should make an account with imgur. I just have so many accounts all over and i struggle remembering PWs lol

Can you get a picture of the neck marking behind the ears for the silver marten and the ring color for the chin (he looks almost more like a lilac smoke pearl chin than a lilac chin from these pictures)?

__________ Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:40 am __________

__________ Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:40 am __________

<br /><br /> __________ Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:50 am __________ <br /><br /> So looking online, looks like skittles is an otter. Thats what we thought originally but then was told by a breeder she was a marten. The brown behind the neck is what im going on.

As for midas, i have no clue..ive wondered if he was a smoke too..

She's definitely an otter.
If you held back a chestnut and bred it back to the sire youll probably get a mix of chestnut, opal, chin, squirrel, maybe cinnamon, chocolate chinchilla, lilac chinchilla, lynx. Quite a variety of agouti colors

Yay!!! Ty sablesteel for helping me with this.. thats what i was wondering :)

Hopefully the smallest one in this litter is a doe and has ears like mama. Dont like dads ear set at all. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:02 pm __________ <br /><br /> Sablesteel, so just so I know for certain, cuz I sent you pics of his fur.. midas is a lilac smoke pearl chin correct? :)

Thats what he looks like
Well, he looks like a smoke pearl chin, but out of those parents he has to be lilac based, so it'd be a lilac smoke pearl chin

Back