Mini Rex pregnancy questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHoward

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new pair of Mini Rex that I bred. Normally I breed NZ and AmBlues so I am more familiar with the larger breeds. I have heard that the minis have a shorter gestation period so I put the nesting box in at about 3 weeks, which the doe immediately went to work on. Now I am at 28 days, the nesting box has a nice tunnel in it, and no fur yet.

Any thoughts? Or do I just need to be patient :angry:

KHoward":r4lsx8bb said:
I have heard that the minis have a shorter gestation period so I put the nesting box in at about 3 weeks, which the doe immediately went to work on. Now I am at 28 days, the nesting box has a nice tunnel in it, and no fur yet.
That's news to me... I've never heard that gestation periods vary much between dwarfs and standard or giant size rabbits. Although I have heard that dwarfs can be bred earlier (5 months vs. 6-8 months).

I vote for leaving the nest box in until day 40, if there's still no babies at that point, try rebreeding?

Well normally gestation is 31 days for rabbits, but some does have been known to go longer... and too many folks have taken the nest box out after 31 days with no babies, only for the doe to have them on the wire a day later (with no survivors, because the nest is gone). Better to leave the nest box in than lose a whole litter a day after she was "due".

Better safe than sorry, right? :)

Back