OH EM GEE My favorite subject EVER!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guardianoasis

Reaction score
I'm so excited to see this forum you just have no idea. I absolutely love talking about genetics!

:bunnyhop:

I'm just gonna get comfortable here and stalk posts in this forum category.

Hopefully I'll meet some new and awesome people I can talk genetics for hours with.

:mbounce:

I'm so excited guys.... I literally squealed.

Thank you :p

I can't wait.

Trying to get everything set up is taking some time though. I was trying to figure out how to do what I wanted to do.

I have a lot of breeding projects for color genetics and I kinda wanted to talk about them in threads but I'm afraid of posting to much and like flooding the category. We just bred 8 rabbits of which most of them have unknown possible recessives. But I'm thinking I might just put it in my blog and then like link it maybe? I dunno. I don't want to hoard the space.

Glad you found us, gardianoasis! :welcome:

There are quite a few members who are knowledgeable and helpful on genetics questions. I'm not one of them, but I'm always glad to see posts about other people's enthusiasms.

Well, usually, anyway. :oops:

Just saw your second post. Why not try one or two of your most important questions, in separate posts, and link to your blog as well. People who are super-interested can check it out. Later on, if you still have topics to discuss, post a couple more here on RT. You'll likely get better, more complete answers if you don't flood the board.

Yeah, that was kinda my idea. We are a growing and ever changing rabbitry. Most of my breedings this year will be test breedings to figure out the recessives in these rabbits I got (satins). For example I got a black doe I bred back to her white sire and ended up with Sallander (Siamese) and white and black. Sooo yeah she's a self chin, hopefully? I'm pretty sure she is but its just like UGH because I have two of her half sisters by the same dam so I have to test them too. She's been bred to one of my am chins. We'll see what happens with that, pretty sure I already know though.

There's still some unexplored territory in the rabbit genetic world I haven't dove into. More or less what goes with what to be able to be expressed through the color ect. A few years ago I spent a lot of time in genetics with corn snakes and ball pythons. But when my power went out for three weeks I realized that I needed something more self sustaining in the cold. Something that didn't rely on heat and power all the time. Plus i panicked being stranded. Insert survival mode lmao (topic for another forum). Anywho. Super excited yay!

I have corn snakes partially because it doesn't matter if the power goes out compared to many species from more tropical or arid places (like ball pythons). :lol: Unless they just ate and need to digest they still retain the ability to brumate the same as the more northern species on the continent. They can sit at 50s F for months. Generally you'd want a couple weeks prep time to empty the digestive tract because metabolism will cease eventually in the cold but most also still have an emergency response to regurgitate if they experience a cold snap so if kept hydrated and adjusted back to proper temps and feeding they are still fine. If my corns, bulls, and pines get cold enough to die when starting out healthy we are all probably suffering too much and have started a back up heat source. The house has 2 bird species and 5 other mammals besides humans who also care it got below usual room temp. Except the sled dog breeds who would live in subzero year round. Really I worry more about power outages in the heat. I have over a dozen chinchillas that start to risk heat stroke in the high 70s. Even rabbits run more risks in the heat and you can lose pregnant does breeding before a heat wave. Half my chest freezer is frozen containers of water to chill everyone.

akane":2pfsnntz said:
I have corn snakes partially because it doesn't matter if the power goes out compared to many species from more tropical or arid places (like ball pythons). :lol: Unless they just ate and need to digest they still retain the ability to brumate the same as the more northern species on the continent. They can sit at 50s F for months. Generally you'd want a couple weeks prep time to empty the digestive tract because metabolism will cease eventually in the cold but most also still have an emergency response to regurgitate if they experience a cold snap so if kept hydrated and adjusted back to proper temps and feeding they are still fine. If my corns, bulls, and pines get cold enough to die when starting out healthy we are all probably suffering too much and have started a back up heat source. The house has 2 bird species and 5 other mammals besides humans who also care it got below usual room temp. Except the sled dog breeds who would live in subzero year round. Really I worry more about power outages in the heat. I have over a dozen chinchillas that start to risk heat stroke in the high 70s. Even rabbits run more risks in the heat and you can lose pregnant does breeding before a heat wave. Half my chest freezer is frozen containers of water to chill everyone.

Yeah I had the corns and that was fine but it was every other reptile I had that I was freaking out over. Plus when you're stranded at the top of a very steep hill where the only road down is super twisted, super dark, and therefore super icy with about a 150 foot drop.... you don't leave your house. It was actually what kick started my more self sustainable farming lifestyle. Which I'm glad for the change for sure. It gets warm in Western WA but not that warm. I worry about the rabbits sometimes in the heat but we have cold glacier well water too so. We do use water bottles sometimes.

Latest posts

Back