My Harlequin Project

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone..... It's been a while!
I have stopped by off and on during the winter, but I haven't had a lot of Rabbit stuff going on because it was just too cold...

I am currently at that "too many rabbits" stage again and will need to do a serious cull of breeders if I am going to keep breeding...lol... :lol:

Harlequin are beautiful rabbits... I had selected Magpie Harlequin to work with as I love the dark/light contrast.... Magpies tend to have a problem with body type and condition....

I have made it my goal to breed and select for type more importantly than all the other characteristics that make up the breed. I want a Harlequin Rabbit that can compete on the Best in Show table, not just the Harlequin table.

Last year I selected a couple of does to breed to Rex .... my thoughts were to get a jump start on type and condition, but keep careful records as rex fur Harlequin are not showable in North America... and I do not sell those rabbits to people who are not going to keep as careful records as well.

I am in F2 and have some beautiful typed rabbits that will be breeding in a few short months.... but, more importantly!! I have a line of Harlequin that I have successfully started getting better typed rabbits with that have not been crossed with rex!!

I had a judge take two of my JR does over to another judge to show him the type!!!! One of those JR was a rex cross... the other was NOT!!!... I am just thrilled with both lines and I am excited to see what F3 will throw (I have 6 xF2 does to work with this project!)

-- Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:38 pm --

Rex X project does
F2

1BXDF.png
BXFF.png

-- Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:41 pm --

My Harlequin Successes:

BLE2 - Mrs. Potts.png

BLE4.png

Sooo pretty! I want a magpie so bad. They are gorgeous!

I have a REW who surprised me with some harlequin babies when he was hooked up with a sandy Flemish giant. He doesn't hve harlequin in his pedigree, but apparently, his great grandpa was a "sable magpie tri." I don't think that exists... lol Maybe it was a harlequinized something? I have his sister, also a REW, and I am hoping they surprise me with a magpie someday (if they really do carry that).

I don't know much about fur genetics, though :lol:

I love magpies as well. That is great news about your type. I bet you do really well with them moving forward.

I have a magpie that I'm pretty excited about, mostly for her color. Unfortunately, she has the worst fur out the litter and is the most standoffish. I'm going to breed her back to her sire and see what happens. If she doesn't work out, I have another well marked chocolate magpie that is two weeks old that I "think" is going to have better fur, and a black magpie that is really well marked but the runt of the litter. I love magpies and my goal is to get a few well marked broken magpies. I just can't decide if I want to focus on them to the exclusion of other colors. I Love ALL the colors.

Attachments

• IMG_20180313_171538.jpg
    IMG_20180313_171538.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,290
When I started out with show rabbits and started learning about the different breeds I met a few harli and magpie rabbits and I thought they were pretty unique and quite a challenge for a breeder. I have only limited space right now so I decided to focus on my satins first. It's super awesome to see someone else working on them that is interested in more than their coats like I would be.

You have very pretty bunnies and the chocolate is beautiful too. Should add these to my list of eventually one day I'll breed this color into my meat satins.... one day bwahahhahaha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: <br /><br /> -- Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:16 am -- <br /><br />
alforddm":2ozypwcb said:
I love magpies as well. That is great news about your type. I bet you do really well with them moving forward.

I have a magpie that I'm pretty excited about, mostly for her color. Unfortunately, she has the worst fur out the litter and is the most standoffish. I'm going to breed her back to her sire and see what happens. If she doesn't work out, I have another well marked chocolate magpie that is two weeks old that I "think" is going to have better fur, and a black magpie that is really well marked but the runt of the litter. I love magpies and my goal is to get a few well marked broken magpies. I just can't decide if I want to focus on them to the exclusion of other colors. I Love ALL the colors.

I love the one in the background looking up over the bun. Uhm hello? love me like now please.

Latest posts

Back