Register

Hermaphrodite

Discussions and questions about how best to keep your breeding program running smoothly.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 71.00

Hermaphrodite

Post Number:#1  Unread postby sueand56 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi folks. I'm mostly a lurker but I wanted to bring up something that absolutely surprised me. I have a doe that has literally turned into a buck, as an adult. I raise meat mutts, a small rabbitry with a mostly Cali buck, a NZ doe and a NZ-Cali doe, daughter of the Cali, and a mutt doe sold to me as a black NZ (but that's another story!). I have not done much breeding this past year due to my husband being ill, not since last spring. He passed away the end of December, and I decided to try and get a litter or two before the summer heat starts here in NC.

Back in the fall the NZ-Cali daughter developed sore hocks and while treating her I examined her genitals and she seemed to have developed a penis. It was confusing because I had bred her in April last year and she delivered 6 healthy kits, all survived. I finally decided she had an enlarged clitoris and didn't worry about it. I went to see if she was ready to breed yesterday and she now has a proper size penis with a slit, scrotal sacs, one empty and one with what feels like a vestigial testicle, although I guess the testicles could be drawn up inside the body. Very confusing as she definitely had kits, all three of my does had kits within a week of each other last spring.

So, breeding is not possible now and I guess she is going to have to go to freezer camp.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,840.00

Re: Hermaphrodite

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Zass » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 pm

As it happens in humans, it's bound to happen in other species on occasion. It's just very rare.
:shock:

If she does go to freezer camp, please post some autopsy pictures for us?

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
michaels4gardens

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,680.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby shazza » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:45 pm

that's definitely interesting. i would also love to see autopsy photos if you do cull her.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,312.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Nymphadora » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 pm

:shock:
If you could post pictures of before the autopsy, too, that would be really cool to see! Not to add too much pressure or anything. ;)

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,268.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 pm

You might want to consider keeping the rabbit alive, documenting what happened, and donating it to some facility that might be interested in learning more about this matter.

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 948.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Ferra » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Given that she had a litter, I would make a guess that it is not a congenital issue or birth defect, but probably some variety of endocrine tumor that's caused a spike in testosterone or related precursors.

So if that's the case, depending on where it was and how big, you might not find anything at autopsy.

Because I am a curious troublemaker, I might have been tempted to keep her and see if she gains the ability/desire to fertilize the other does. :shock:
Raising purebred French Angora in Alberta, Canada
http://www.angoryrabbits.ca

Instagram: @angoryrabbit

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,312.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Ferra wrote:Because I am a curious troublemaker, I might have been tempted to keep her and see if she gains the ability/desire to fertilize the other does. :shock:

:yeahthat: :P